neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3 Steps to Finding Your Inner Peace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

To put it simply: this is essential to your wellbeing and sanity. If you don’t keep calm then you’re going to be irrational and the stress will spread to other areas of your life. So be careful of your nature if and when things spiral out of your control! There’s no use in getting all riled up about things you can’t change, especially if you don’t start with yourself first. Whether it’s anxiety or just plain panic, you have a big influence on you! It may sound silly, but who has more control over your life than you do? 

Here are three things that you can do to assist in capturing, and keeping, your inner peace:

1. Distance Yourself:

Not only are you putting space between yourself and negative people, but any environment that gives you bad vibes too. It could be the one friend that needs a ton of attention from you or the busy work atmosphere. Even if it’s only 5 minutes away. Take some time!

2. Moment of Silence:

Unplug your music, turn off the TV, and give yourself a minute to hear nothing. You would be surprised what it could do for you. With no noise to distract you, it’s easier to settle down. How often are we able to go throughout the day without absolute peace and quiet? Not a long time, that’s for sure. The fact that we already go long periods of time without it, makes this step that much more important.

3. Define the Disturbance:

Sometimes we confuse what we think is making us feel better with something that actually isn’t helping at all. It could be a friend, an activity, or even a food. Maybe it didn’t cause the problem that you’re freaking out about, but is it truly benefiting you and contributing to you keeping your cool? If the answer is “no” or “maybe” then cut it out (not completely, just until you can get yourself together)

These steps are very simple, but in times of distress when the world is racing around you, the affect on you can be significant. One of the worst things is feeling a whirlwind around you and within you. You can complain about the surroundings as much as you want, but you have little control over what happens. Just take a second, and breathe. 

Nia Lewis

Valdosta

My name is Nia which means purpose in Swahili and I am currently finding it and trying to live up to it. I'm a senior at Valdosta State University, my major is Communication Disorders--translation: I am an aspiring Speech-Language Pathologist. Nothing makes me happier than the people I love, affection, a good book, a blank journal, and the beach. I'm sure I left a few things off of the list, but you get the point.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.