3 Reasons I Might be Done With Scandal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

As many of you may know, our favorite show and our favorite girl are returning to primetime television this Thursday. After a two and a half month break, Scandal is finally returning! Although it may seem like I’m very excited, I don’t feel as anxious about the much-anticipated return like I normally do. I can’t believe that I’m typing these words, but I might be done with Scandal! *gasp* Oh no you didn’t! Oh yes, I did. And here’s why:

1. Scandal has become primetime t.v.’s version of The Notebook

The reason I fell in love with Scandal, just like many of you I’m sure, is because Olivia Pope had the most interesting job EVER. Every episode, there was some new, crazy scandal and Olivia’s job was to “handle” it. Whether it was an affair, a murder, or some other bad incident, Olivia always found a way to get her clients out of trouble. When I really take the time to think about it, when’s the last time Olivia actually did her job? Unless she’s on leave or is just unemployed, Olivia has not been doing her job; she hasn’t been “handling” anything. Instead, it seems like she needs people to handle her situations rather than the other way around. One of the show’s main themes used to be a different situation every episode, but that is no longer the case. This show has become more of a love story than anything else. This brings me to my next point.

2. Fitz and Olivia could be a thing, but Olivia’s playing

Don’t you all just love that soft little tune they play in the background during Olivia and Fitz’s scenes? Well, we might not be hearing that catchy melody anymore. Like many other things, when Olivia could finally have Fitz to herself, SHE STILL WAS NOT SATISFIED. Olivia could finally have Vermont with Fitz, and she completely gave all of that up. Despite all of the things Fitz has done to prove his love for Olivia, she just was not having it. We’ve all been rooting for Fitz and Olivia to be official since the show started, but we’ve been let down again. Many of us have come to the conclusion that Olivia enjoys being the side chick. Oops, did I just say that?

3. Bye-Bye Baby Olitz

I don’t know about all of you, but I was completely shocked when Olivia decided to have an abortion. For one, none of us even knew that she was expecting. Of course, if that’s Olivia’s decision (which it was), there is nothing wrong with that; it’s her body and she could choose to do with it what she wants. What I didn’t like is that she didn’t tell Fitz anything about her being pregnant or the conclusion that she came to. Although they aren’t in a relationship, I still think Fitz had the right to know. Even if his reaction wouldn’t affect the outcome, it was his child too…or was it? Nonetheless, it should make for a pretty interesting story line when/if Fitz finds out.

Although I’ve just given three reasons why I might stop watching Scandal, chances are, I’m not going to! Of course, I’m going to finish the rest of the season and see if things pick up from here. But Shonda Rhimes only has a few more months to reel me back in!

Don’t forget to tune in tomorrow at 9!

HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.