3 Places to Visit for Finding Your Zen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Hiking is my zen finder, so I don’t mind a nice peaceful walk. However, there are some who are not so easily impressed by miles of walking to find what, more grass? Some feel more rewarded when there’s a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Therefore, I have devised a list of stunning trails that lead to striking landmarks. Pick a location (or all) and find your zen!

1. Reed Bingham State Park trails

This state park is located in Adel, GA which is about 37 minutes from Valdosta. It covers a total of 1,613 acres which contains a 375 acre lake. Not to overwhelm you, but Reed Bingham State Park is the host of 7 hiking trails extending to be 7 miles total! Each trail is a different length viewing various beautiful land structures. The great thing about this site is that it is completely up to you whether you want to engage in the numerous activities available or do absolutely nothing! The park is the home of 46 campsites, 11 shelters,  a swimming beach with a pavilion, 3 boat ramps, 2 fishing docks, and (drum-roll please) Wi-Fi! Yes, major key, I know! If the facilities aren’t enough for you or you happen to be a thrill seeker (like me), this state park offers activities such as boat tours, fishing, canoe/kayak rentals, biking, and even mini-golf! The park’s hours are from 7am-10pm and requires a charge of $5 per vehicle. So, pack a car and GO!

2. Red Top Mountain State Park trails

This state park is located in Cartersville, GA which is about 3 ½ hours from Valdosta. It covers a total of 1,776 acres containing 92 campsites! Did you think 7 miles was overwhelming? I’m sorry, well, this state park is the host of 6 trails with distances equaling to be around 15 miles total! Don’t be so discouraged, there is a trail with a distance of only half a mile for you slackers. Some accommodations this site has to offer includes cottages, shelters, and also a yurt (wowzers). For the newbies out there, a yurt may be equipped with the whole shebang! It just depends on your yurt. Some range from the simple necessities for a modest camping experience to various luxury amenities, oooo-lala! Red Top Mountain State Park offers an extensive list of activities ranging from water skiing to archery! This park’s hours are from 7am-dark and requires a charge of $5 per vehicle as well. Step outside of your comfort zone and engage in some out-of-the-box activities for once!

3.Vickery Creek Falls Roswell Mill trail

This site is located in Roswell, GA which is about 3 ½ hours from Valdosta, but a pretty familiar city to those from the Metro-Atlanta area. It is the host of a 3 ½ mile trail extending to various locations around a remarkable waterfall! This trail is one of many located alongside the Chattahoochee River. Wait, did I mention that this location is FREE? Parking and viewing are both FREE.99! Pedestrians are allowed to walk in and alongside the river straight to the waterfall! Some even sit under the waterfall, but me, I am not that bold (sorry guys). The site is open enough to explore the various features the waterfall has to offer! For example, if you are able, you may rock climb to the top of streams! However, this site is secure enough to have areas which are inaccessible to pedestrians for safety precautions. This waterfall is a MUST SEE! You and group a friend may want to pack up one day and relax under a few trees to the sound of flowing water. This is the spot!

All sites listed above are wildlife friendly and smoke-free, so please be respectful! Otherwise, enjoy finding your zen! HCXO!

Jamesia Folston is an Early Childhood Education student at Valdosta State University. She is a 23 year old alternative music addict who enjoys traveling, thrifting, and creating. She aspires to become an educator abroad and globetrotter.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.