28 African-Americans You Didn’t Learn About In School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

In celebration of Black History Month I want to bring attention to 28 Black People that we didn’t learn about in school. During your 12 years of school you learn about the same 7 black people during black history month, and nothing more. You learn that black history started with slavery, ended with segregation, and then it became American History. Well boys and girls that is completely and totally false. We learn so little about African Americans and their contributions to the world. So, as stated earlier in the article I would like to present you with 28 African Americans you did not learn about in school. This particular article is going to be centered around black excellence in America so strap in and enjoy!

Stokley Carmichael – A Trinidadian-American Civil Rights Activist. He is cited as being the creator of the rally cry Black Power.

Ethel Water – Television & Film Actress and Blues and Jazz Singer. She is also the first African American with her own television show.

Angela Davis– Activist, scholar, and author.  Davis was connected to several different political parties including the communist party. She was involved with the Black Panther Party, but disappointed by the role of women in the organization she left.

Malcolm X–  Political Activist

Assata Shakur– Political Activist

Tupac Shakur– He is known for his influence in hip-hop, but in certain circles he is respected for his views and stance on issues plaguing the black community and black women.

Ruth Alice Lucas– 1st black woman to receive the title “Colonel” in the Air Force

Ella Fitzgerald– Jazz Singer

Althea Gibson– 1st black Champion at Wimbledon which paved the way for our favorites, Venus and Serena.

Arthur Ashe– Also a tennis player, he is the 1st African American male to win at Wimbledon.

Langston Hughes– Poet, Social Activist, Novelist, and Playwright

Josephine Holloway – Formed the first African American Girl Scout Troop.

Huey Newton – political activist, revolutionary, and co-founder of the Black Panther Party.

Bayrad Rustin – Best known for his work as an adviser for Martin Luther King Jr, Bayard  was a gay black man during a period which it was highly frowned upon. He fought for civil rights and gay rights throughout his lifetime.

Eartha Kitt– Actress, Activist, Singer, Comedienne

Alice Walker – Author and Activist

Audre Lorde – Is credited for the idea behind Womanism, a branch of feminism that is specifically for black women.

Francess Cress Wesling– Afrocentrist Psychiatrist and Author

Jack Johnson – 1st African American Heavy Weight Champion

The Harlem Hellfighters – An all Black infantry that fought during both World Wars.

Beverly Guy-Sheftall – Author, Editor, Black Feminist, and Scholar

Thelonious Monk– Jazz Pianist and Composer, he was known for his unusual style of dress and unique music choices.

Nina Simone– She is most known for her song Feelin’ Good, which is still played and covered today, but besides being a singer Simone was also a Pianist, Songwriter, and Civil Rights Activist. Her political stance was reflected within her music like her famous Strange Fruit.

Chuck Berry – Is one of several black musicians who pioneered Rock n’ Roll music.

Black Panther Party– I have talked about the Black Panther Party several times in this article so I should give you a little background. They are often viewed as a terrorist group WHEN IN REALITY, they taught African American communities self-defense, gave food to hungry children, and ensured that no police brutality took place against innocent blacks in their communities. They were one of the most influential groups during the Civil Rights Era.

Alice Coachmen– 1st black woman to win an Olympic Gold Medal.

Spike Lee– An influential director who continues to make films today. He is most known for his films Do The Right Thing and School Daze. 

Marcus Gravey– A Jamaican political leader who spread his ideals about Pan-Africanism to black communities in America. 

HCXO!

Toni Miles is a Mass Media Major with aspirations of writing, producing her own documentaries, and directing short films in the future. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.