11 Pains VSU Students Know to Be True

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Hands down, Valdosta State University is home to one of the most beautiful campuses in Georgia. Not to mention, we are an accredited university with some of the best programs for our majors. However, just as any other university, it has its flaws. But fortunately enough for us, they are do-able and only make this college experience all worthwhile!

Disclaimer: This article is to be taken with the upmost lightheartedness! :)

1. Parking

Us VSU students know that finding a parking spot, especially in the morning, isn’t always a cake walk. Driving around the two parking decks for 20 minutes will lead any student into the temptation of parking in staff (guilty) or 45 minute parking for an hour and fifteen minute class (guilty again). Oh, and let’s not even discuss the stockpile of unpaid parking tickets we’ve all accumulated at some point!

Pro-tip: Instead of driving to campus 30 minutes early, arrive to campus 5-7 minutes before students get out of class; that way, as you are coming, they are leaving!

2. The Smell

At some point, you’re bound to step outside and experience that great ol’ distinct “Valdosta Smell,” aka rotten eggs!

3. Two On-Campus Chick-fil-As

Not one, but two Chick-fil-As just in case you changed your mind about wanting it from your walk from the UC to the Student Union! This one still stumps us upperclassmen to this day. *Chants* We want The Loop, we want The Loop!!!

4. Night Life

We all know how boring Valdosta can be sometimes when you’re wanting to go out and meet new people. Unless you’re an underclassman, you’re bound to see the same people you saw at the last function. Not to mention, finding the move usually always takes extensive time, research, and plenty of “Wyd tonight?” text messages.

Pro-tip: Stay at home and kick it with a few close friends.

5. The Mall

I’m not really sure what constitutes a “great mall” but Valdosta Mall makes online shopping seem sufficient. PacSun and Victoria’s Secret are the glue of what holds this one-story mall together. Can we at least get a Macy’s?!

Pro-tip: Jacksonville has two malls AND a beach! :)

6. The Commute Here and Back

Unless you’re a South Georgia native, the three and a half hour drive from here to Atlanta is pretty crucial, especially if you’re the one driving! But we can all relate to the grin on our faces when we finally see the Atlanta skyline or Valdosta’s palm trees after this long drive! 

7. The Heat

The south is already infamous for its heat, but there is just something about Valdosta’s humidity that will have you asking out loud: “Why is it so hot?!”

8. The Gnats

With clammy heat comes gnats. Annoying, tiny, undefeatable, guarenteed to make you feel unclean, gnats.

9. The Wifi

Connecting to the wifi on campus is almost equivalent to cracking The Da Vinci code. Doing your homework in your dorm room? Good luck!

Pro-tip: Your best bet is using the computers in the library!

10. The Train

Ever been on the way to class or in a rush for work and you get stopped by the infamous Valdosta train? This is bound to happen at some point in your college career. Why trains are even still in commission in 2014 is also a great question.

11. Banking

If you came to Valdosta with a pre-existing Chase, Wells Fargo, or credit union bank account, you know the struggle of wanting to take cash out or deposit money. Or the painful accpetance of the $2.75 fee for cheating on your bank with another (as if we weren’t already broke). Can we please get a universal ATM like the other universities?!

After it is all said and done, Valdosta is home and these moments will only make us nostalgic when we reflect back on our college experience!

21 Mass Media Major at Valdosta State :)
Her Campus at Valdosta State.