What I’ve Learned From Changing My Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Changing majors is a very common occurrence for university students. Some students start university with an undeclared major and leave their options open,  some know exactly what they want and stick with it. However, many  think they know what major they would like to be in, then change it once or twice. Personally, I started in the Digital Journalism program, in first year I switched to Environmental Studies and I am currently in the process of switching into Sociology. While changing majors twice, in three completely different areas, I have learned a lot about switching majors and school in general. Here are some of my findings:

1. You shouldn’t be pressured into picking a program so young:

The first thing I learned, is that picking a program is forced upon you too early. You apply to universities and the programs that you want when you are in first semester of grade twelve. That means that you are expected to basically know what you would like to do for the rest of your life while you are still struggling through high school. Just because you liked one basic class in high school, does not mean that is what you want to study as your major in university. Grade twelve is very early to be picking what to study to get into your career, and even though it’s necessary, most people end up switching because they are being forced to pick an area of study too early.  I believe that it would be better to make everyone do a general year of different university classes, with more optional courses  that way they can experience and adapt to university more easily and be able to pick a more appropriate major.

2. Finding out what the career you want will actually be like, may be a negative and a positive.

The next thing I learned, is that university gives you an idea about what the career you want will be like, which is what turns a lot of people off of their current major and on to a different major. I learned this through my Digital Journalism courses. While I only took two Journalism courses, I got a look into the job. I saw what being a journalist would be like every day and eventually decided that it wasn’t for me. While this may seem negative, it’s actually quite positive. By showing you what the career you want is actually like it helps you better decide if you should go forward with your course of study, or change paths.

3. You should actually seek help from your program advisor:

Another aspect that I learned while switching majors was that most teachers and program advisors are a huge help. Whether you are switching into or out of a major or are just in that program, advisors and certain teachers are a tremendous aide. Many students don’t utilize their program advisors  but my advice is to make use of them. Even if you don’t have specific questions, it’s good to get to know your advisors so that you will feel more comfortable asking for their help in the future. I have dealt with many advisors and teachers and found it very beneficial when I needed to know how to switch programs, what classes to take since I was a semester behind, and much more. I also learned that it is much better to talk to program advisors, than a general academic advisor.

4. It’s okay to rethink your major:

You may become discouraged and start to hate school, but once you’re in something you enjoy, you will feel much better. This seemed to be true for me many times. I remember getting upset after certain classes, thinking that there was no way I could do this and wanting so badly to quit university and try something else. However, once I changed my major, I felt more committed to what I was in and felt happier about going to school and was much more motivated than when I was in a different major.

5. Don’t be afraid to pick the major that you want:

Do what you like and what you can see yourself doing as a career. If you let anyone else choose for you, you will be unhappy and not as motivated. Sometimes, parents, siblings, friends, and teachers will try to persuade you into choosing the major that they think is best for you. You can’t blame them; they believe they are helping and want you to be successful. However, only you know what you really enjoy, and what you can see yourself doing after school. You have to listen to yourself or you will be unhappy in your major. And if you did listen to them while choosing a major, it’s never too late to switch to what you want to be doing.

6. You can always switch majors:

Lastly, and as I believe, most importantly, it’s never too late to switch majors. Whenever I tell people that I’m switching into my third major, I pretty much get the same response: “You’ll never graduate on time.” “It’s kind of late, you’re already in second year.” “Wow, you need to figure out what you’re doing with your life.” But the way I think of it is, if I have to take an extra year of university in order to get the career that I really want, as opposed to graduating with the rest of my age group and being stuck in a career that I really don’t like, I would much rather just take an extra year. It’s not too late to switch and be on the path that you want to be on. Don’t let anything hold you back!

Changing majors can be tough, but so is being stuck in a program that isn’t right for you. Do what’s best for you and don’t let anyone effect that, this is your future, take control of it. And lastly, don’t be afraid of switching majors once twice, even 6 times! 

Hi everyone, my name is Sadie and I am a third year student studying Sociology. My hobbies include reading, writing, horseback riding, and eating sushi with friends.
Bryanna Millben

Laurier Brantford '20

Hi! I'm a fourth-year at Wilfrid Laurier University working towards a BA in English with a minor in History, and the Campus Correspondent/President for HC Laurier Brantford. I have a super sweet golden retriever named Marley, and aspire to work in Public Relations.