This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

As a dog owner, I find that everytime I eat anything I get the “puppy dog eyes” as my dogs beg to try whatever it is that I’m eating. Usually I comply and share with my dogs, but I always wonder if I’m putting my dogs’ health in jeopardy. To help put my worries to rest, as well as to help inform other dog owners, I decided to put together a list of what can and can’t be shared with your dogs. *

Source

Things Dogs Can Eat

While people might have an idea of foods that are dog-safe, many are unaware of all the food options that can be given to dogs above the usual dog food. While there is a very long list of dog safe foods, here are a few options that surprised me the most:

• Carrots: Whether cooked or not, carrots are completely dog safe. Instead of giving your dog a bone as a treat,  try opting for a carrot instead next time! 

• Eggs: Cooked eggs are safe for puppies to eat! In fact, they can be a great source of protein and vitamins. Raw eggs however, are not safe for dog consumption – they can make dogs sick.

• Blueberries: Blueberries are dog safe! Not only are they a nutritious snack, but they are full of disease-fighting antioxidants which can actually benefit your dog’s health.

• Watermelon: Watermelon is safe for dogs to eat as it is a low calorie treat that is full of vitamins! Just make sure to cut off the rind as it can be a choking hazard.

• Chicken, Beef, Turkey & Shrimp: Cooked chicken, beef, turkey and shrimp are all safe to feed your dog! They’re all great sources of protein for both humans and dogs. 

Things Dogs Can’t Eat

Besides the well known things that dogs can’t have, such as chocolate, here are a few other things to keep away from your dog:

• Onions: onions are not dog safe! Onions contain N-propyl, a compound that can damage a dog’s red blood cells and reduce their ability to carry oxygen to the different parts of the body 

• Avocado: Avocado’s contain persin, which can cause diarrhea, vomiting and heart congestion in dogs 

• Candy, Gum, Toothpaste and Mouthwash: Candy, gum, toothpaste and mouthwash are dangerous for dogs because they contain xylitol, which can lead to vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures and liver failure 

• Caffeine: Caffeine is extremely dangerous for dogs! It can cause an elevated heart rate, elevated blood pressure, tremors, seizures and death

• Grapes & Raisins: Grapes and raisins are considered to be very toxic for dogs! They can cause kidney failure, and early warning signs include vomiting, and low energy.  

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.