Supporting Local Businesses in Windsor-Essex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

A little while back, in my ‘Meet the Member Monday,’ I mentioned that I run my own business—Always September, in which I sew Book Sleeves and bookmarks. After receiving so much support from many local customers, I have decided to spread the love to other local business. So, here are a few local businesses that are located in Windsor-Essex who have some amazing handmade products.

(Descriptions and product information can be found following the links, photos are from businesses Instagrams)

1. Witch and Whimsy

IG: @knittingwitch

Handmade crochet creations that suit everyone. Ranging from slices of pizza to mythical narwhals, each creation is handmade with love. If you are looking for something unique, this is the perfect store for you!

2. Completely Carly

IG: @completelycarly

Handmade sewing creations, perfect for every person. She even has an environmentally-friendly line, consisting of eco-face cleaners, reusable grocery bags, and much more!

3. Wooly Acorn

IG: @woolyacorn

Don’t let the winter blues get you down! High-end crochet goods for all ages, including hats, toques, booties, infinity scarves, slippers, and other apparel items. Made with the softest of yarns, this business provides the best accessories to keep you warm in the harsh Canadian winters.

4. Miss Kelly 

IG: @misskellytravel

Travelling has never been so fashionable! Cute and functional travel accessories such as passport holders, cosmetic bags, sunglass cases, and yoga mat bags. Each item is unique, simple and practical, as well as fairly priced.

5. That’s Sew Sarah

IG: @thatssewsarah

Upcycled fashion has never been cuter! From purses and scrunchies to super charming wristlets, there are a variety of patterns for you to choose from. Each product is uniquely the company’s own and are the perfect accessory to spruce up any outfit.

6. Culture Shock Jewelry

IG: @cultureshockjewelry

This Indigenous-owned company specializes in jewelry for everyday use, including necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. The products are made up from components such as glass beads, shells, letters, feathers, and semi-precious stones to add to their beauty. Also, they specialize in the creation of moccasins, pouches, and dreamcatchers.

7. Chevy Paints

IG: @chevypaints

Looking to rock a new outfit? Look no further than Chevy Paints! Not only do they create stunning paintings, they also do hand-painted jean jackets. These stunning designs are one-of-a-kind and perfect for everyone.

8. River Rock Pottery

IG: @riverrockpottery

Plates, mugs, and bowls, oh my! These extraordinary creations are the perfect gift for you or a friend. Their stunning colours are sure capture everyone’s attention the next time you have people over.

9. Alora Flora

IG: @aloraflora

Created to provide elegant yet affordable jewelry for women, these beautifully constructed designs are suitable for everyday wear and special occasions. They are the perfect accessories to match your personality, from earrings to necklaces, the innovative designs are stunning for all wearers.

10. Pocket Squares

IG: @pocketsquares

Pocket Squares Paper is a woman-owned company that makes planners, greeting cards, calendars, subject-specific journals, and other stationery products for perfectionists who prefer paper over digital form. Made with 100% recycled paper.  

These amazing businesses (and more) can be found at the Urban Art Market, located here in Windsor! Make sure to check them out and #supportlocal

Carly Coombe is currently in her last year of Teacher's College for P/J, additionally with an Honour Bachelors Degree in English and History. When she’s not busy balancing school and work, she often volunteers her time as a Girl Guide leader for a local unit or is working on her small business, which has taken off since quarantine. She will always be found with her nose in the latest book, sometimes even ones that have not been published yet. She aspires to earn her TEFL degree and become an English and History high school teacher.