Poetry Spotlight: Shane Koyczan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

If you are even slightly well versed in the current world of poetry, then you should know his name. Shane Koyczan is a First Nations Canadian spoken word poet who is, in my humble opinion, one of the best writers of our generation. He holds a certain power with words that ironically cannot be described with simple words and he has caused me to ugly cry more times than I would like to admit. Not only do his words flow off the page like water, but he frequently posts audio of him reading his works which elevates the impact for the audience. If you couldn’t tell by now, I really love this poet, so I wanted to highlight his talent and share his work with the world. So without further ado, here are some of my, and soon to be your, favorite poems by Shane Koyczan.  

To This Day 

This is arguably his most well-known poem, and for good reason. It was the poem that introduced me to him and I have a vivid memory of listening to it. I was attending a beginning of the year assembly in high school and my principal played the video of Koyczan reciting this poem. I was immediately moved on a profound level and by the end of the video I found myself crying, yet somehow all my surrounding classmates were rolling their eyes at the spoken word, referring to it as cheesy or overemotional. Still heavily reliant on my peers’ acceptance, I hid my tears in shame and attempted to conform with the kids around me. Nowadays, I listen to the poem at least once a month and proudly let the tears flow. If you have been, or know someone who has been affected by bullying, this poem will certainly have a deep impact on you.  

Troll 

This poem is a great example of Koyczan’s ability to use beautiful imagery and metaphors to weave a tale. As the title may suggest, the poem begins speaking of a stereotypical mythical troll who lives under a bridge, but that creature is soon related to a modern day internet troll wrecking virtual havoc. He speaks of the tragedies and cruelties that online bullies inflict through a keyboard towards innocent people with such elegance that as a listener you almost forget how upsetting the subject matter is. Yet the poem still ends on an uplifting note as he gives his readers hope and strength up until the final sentence, “We will not let you make your dinners out of the things we feel.”  

For Many 

I think the essence of this poem can be found in the short line within it stating, “Pretty is a lie.” Koyczan has touched upon his view of beauty and societies standards about it in some of his other works, but this piece is like his full thesis on the topic. To say this poem would be a critique of unrealistic and damaging beauty standards would be a damning understatement. Koyczan demolishes the idea of beauty altogether, and listening to him recite the words one can hear exasperation lace his tone, indicating his weariness about toxic beauty standards. If you’re ever feeling a little insecure about your appearance, this is the poem to lift your spirits.  

How To Be A Person  

The title sounds like a silly question a child might ask that would receive a slight chuckle from the nearest adult, but with closer inspection one might find a philosophical inquiry that could keep them up at night. Koyczan breaks down the complex notion of being a human to its most pure and basic ideals including, but not limited to, finding your voice, forgiveness, and understanding the power of love. In my opinion, this is one of his most beautiful pieces that will leave you in awe at how he can make something as intricate as human life so effortlessly poetic. 

Places 

While Koyczan often covers delicate subjects with immense grace, the theme of this poem is one that has personally impacted the poet himself. Here he discusses homelessness, accusing most people of having so many places to be so they may conveniently ignore all those who do not have a place in this world (hence the title). This poem had me shaking my head at the unjust institutions that have abandoned the homeless, but also realizing that I am a part of the institutions as I keep myself too busy to worry about those in need. This poem will not only make you more thankful for the places you are blessed with but also grant you with a unique sense of empathy for those lacking a place.  

If you’re interested in reading more of Shane Koyczan’s work be sure to check him out on his website, Facebook, Youtube, or Twitter.  

Abby is a fourth year English Language and Literature student with a minor in Psychology. She enjoys horror movies, over-priced Starbucks drinks, and a good wholesome meme. After graduation, Abby's goal is to find a career in publishing.