Wellness

My Crystal Handbook: What Are They and How Do You Use Them?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Ever wonder why people collect crystals? It isn’t just because they are beautiful additions to the household! Crystals also possess metaphysical abilities, that when cleansed and charged, can affect your life in positive ways! This new series will teach you everything you need to know about crystals, starting with purchasing/finding crystals, cleansing and charging them, and ending with the properties of individual crystals.

So what are crystals? A crystal is a solid material whose molecules and atoms arrange “in a highly ordered microscopic structure, forming a crystal lattice that extends in all directions” (Geology Page, 2016). This arrangement determines each mineral’s unique physical and metaphysical properties, such as colour and protection. Like plants, crystals grow, although they are abiotic (non-living). Many require water, melted rock, or vapour in order for more atoms to be added to it. 

These minerals are found in the earth in a raw state. They often resemble normal rocks at first, as they are rough and untouched. However, when crystals are polished, they become smooth, and their colours are enhanced. Does this also affect their metaphysical properties? Some have found that the energy in raw crystals appears to be stronger than altered crystals. This is because they come directly from Mother Earth, and the surface features have not been ground away. However, others argue that the innate energetic force depends on the individual crystal (to feel the energy, just place all your awareness on the crystal, or any object, such as your hand, and you will feel a pulsing or tingling sensation). 

The physical shape of crystals also impacts their metaphysical power. If you are meditating or healing with a raw amethyst, which contains multiple symmetrical points, the energy tends to flow in the direction of the sharp points. These clusters of points also promote teamwork, causing the energy to be amplified. Pyramids also have this directed effect. If the crystal is round or smooth, the energy is more ubiquitous and calm. Additionally, the shape will affect the type of energy the crystal provides, not just the direction. For example, if you purchase a heart-shaped crystal, loving energy will be radiated. Wand-shapes are good for cleansing, which is a good segway into the utilization of crystals. 

What people often forget to do is the process of cleansing and charging your crystals. They are either under the impression that crystals do not have any other power besides looking pretty, or that they do not need any care from us. Remember when I said crystals are like plants? Think of it this way: they need to be watered regularly in order to endure and grow. Likewise, crystals need to be cleansed and charged so that they can bring positive energy into your life. 

This is a bit of a generalization, but crystals accomplish two main things: they evoke positivity and they absorb negativity. When a crystal rids you of the negativity in your energy, they retain it in themselves. Cleansing your crystal removes the negative energy in it. Charging your crystal follows this process, so it can be ready to protect and help you. It’s a symbiotic (mutual) relationship.

When cleansing your crystal, it is important to clear your mind (this is often obtained in a meditative state). Then you can use one of the following methods: 1) Immerse a crystal in water to cleanse it (to know which crystals can go in the water, here’s a quick rule of thumb: don’t put crystals with names that end with “ite,” like Selenite, in water), 2) You can also burn sage and pass the crystal through the smoke or create a high frequency with a singing bowl with the crystal nearby. It is important to remember you must keep the mindful intention to cleanse your crystal in your mind. 

Now you’re ready to recharge your crystal! Again, be sure to meditate and clear your mind, with the intention of recharging your crystal the only thought. One of the easiest ways to recharge a crystal is to talk to it, whether aloud or in your head. Hold the crystal close to your heart while meditating, and telling it what you want it to do for you. For example, when recharging an amethyst, say, “Please repel negativity energy and keep me safe; help me to focus and bring me tranquillity and positivity.” To reiterate, the intention is everything. You can also place your crystal in the light of the moon, preferably the full moon. 

The following are methods that can both cleanse and charge your crystals: 1) Selenite has the ability to cleanse and charge any crystal. Place your crystal on top of the selenite crystal with the intention of cleansing it. 2) Placing your crystal in direct sunlight for half an hour can also accomplish this; however, make sure to check if your crystal can go in the sunlight. For example, Tri-Coloured Calcite and Amethyst will fade in the sunlight, which will result in a loss of colour (amethyst turns orange). 3) You can also bury your crystal in the Earth for a few days. See Gaiaworld for more.

Once this has been done, you are ready to use your crystals! You can either wear a crystal as a necklace or bracelet, keep it in your wallet (to attract money), or carry it in your bag to keep it close to you, or you can leave it in your room or around the house to work its magic remotely. Crystals can help with meditation, manifesting, dream recall, healing, protection, and more, but that’s for another article. 

My final advice is to be mindful of what is minding you and allow your crystal to choose you. This can be the first crystal that catches your eye at Origins or a crystal whose energy feels especially meaningful. You’ll know. 

Crystal Blessings,

Serafina

My name is Serafina Piasentin and I'm enrolled in English Literature and Creative Writing at the University of Windsor. Writing has long since been a passion of mine, and I specialize in fiction and poetry. I have won and been published in numerous short story and poetry contests and have completed a fantasy trilogy. I aspire to be an author and this opportunity with Her Campus allows me to take a step closer to that dream! A bit about me outside of my writing career: I am a lifeguard and I play the piano. I consider myself an ambivert and I love adventures and meeting new people! Feel free to contact me on instagram: @serafinaarose or email me @serafinapiasentin@gmail.com <3 I also have a blog where I post my poems, stories, essays, literary reviews and more! You can find me here: https://serafinaarose.wixsite.com/wordalchemy