self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

Mental Health Care and COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.
Mental Health Care and COVID-19.

Once upon a time we heard news of a virus outbreak in China. To some it was a joke, and to others it was a validation for their racist views. Due to lack of precautions and the level of humor associated with this virus, the virus spread around the world. Many are now noticing the drastic effects of COVID-19. To flatten the curve, countries have implemented a “social distancing” rule. As everyone sits at home, having everything being done online, they start to feel trapped. There is a huge amount of people going out to buy toilet paper rolls (do not ask why), hand sanitizers, nonperishable food, meat, etc.. However, many are forgetting that we need to look after our mental health because there are no more distractions such as work and school to use. 

Mental health is important as it is the literal essence of how people behave and feel. Here are five ways to ensure that you’re taking care of your mental health during this hectic time. 

1.     Hang out with your friends: There are many ways you can hang out with someone online. You can try Zoom, an application that is like skype where you can speak to your friends. There are extensions like Netflix party that can be downloaded on Chrome, which allows you to watch movies with your friends! In addition, there are games like Skribbel.io that you can play–you draw images and others have to guess what you’re drawing. 

2.     Exercise at home: When you exercise, you release endorphins that help your perception of pain and release positive emotions. Try running in your room, doing pushups, sit ups,etc.    

3.     Message those that can help you: There are many organizations, such as Kids help phone and Crisis Text line, that are able to help someone because they are qualified Crisis responders. These types of conversations help bring someone in a crisis from a hot moment to a cool moment. 

4.     Pick up a hobby: Make sure that you are always doing the things you love, whether that be coloring, drawing, music, or writing a short story. Being productive gives you a sense of accomplishment and it allows you to become better equipped at using that time as a distraction. This also allows your mind to stay stimulated. 

5.     Do the simple things: Do not push yourself to do big things right away. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, focus on doing the tedious tasks that you’re used to doing. Tidy up your bed, eat, drink water, etc. These simple things bring you back to your present self rather than wander in your own thoughts and feelings. 

Mental health needs to be cared for and Isolation does not mean an emotional isolation as well. You deserve to be happy and not stressed. Therefore, make sure that you are checking in often to see if your mental fuel is low. 

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.