This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Holiday seasons can be a bit of a downer if you’re single and watching everyone around you doing cute couple things. It’s even worse on Valentine’s, when the holiday is literally made for showing off your significant other. But, spending Valentine’s Day alone isn’t always a bad thing. It’s a day for love, so why not show yourself some love too? I’m happily single, and for the past five years, I’ve usually worked at my part-time job on the night of Valentine’s to give my co-workers the night off with their loved one. However, I totally take advantage of the discount chocolate on the 15th and have a little me day to make up for it. 

I think one of the most important things as a University student is to have at least a couple days set aside throughout the semester where you do nothing but comforting things. For me, this is usually something along the lines of lighting candles in my room while also totally pigging out on junk food and binging a good Netflix series. Of course, this isn’t everyone’s idea of a good time, but I think it’s good to find activities that are relaxing for you!

Luckily enough, this Valentine’s Day lands on a Friday, which means you don’t have any academic commitments the next day. So, for all my single ladies: if you’re looking to spend Valentine’s Day giving yourself all the love and attention you deserve, why not give some of these activities a go and maybe start your own me-day Valentine’s tradition.

First things first, if you haven’t already stocked up on snacks and chocolate by the time you get home after class, you definitely need to get to the store and grab your faves. Once you’re at home and in for the night, I find it’s super beneficial to turn off your phone if you’re one of those people who get a little bit blue after seeing a thousand cute couple posts plastered all over Instagram and Twitter. Plus, there’s nothing better for a pampering day than detoxing from social media.

Next, I usually set the mood by finding the perfect soundtrack for my pampering session of the night. I’m a huge fan of vinyl, so for me, that usually involves my record player. If that’s not your jam, check out some playlists on Apple Music and Spotify (I especially adore playlists that are chalk full of heart-felt love ballads that I can belt out the lyrics too when no one else is home).

Then I take a shower or bath, ‘cause it’s super relaxing to de-stress after a long week of school stuff, and then it’s time for my face routine. After I wash off my face mask and jade roll the heck out of my cheeks, I like to do my hair because most of the time I throw it up in a ponytail or cover it with a toque and don’t take the time to style it. So for me, taking care of my hair is an important component of my me-day.

Finally, after I’m in some comfy clothes, I like to make a nest out of pillows and blankets and cozy up for an evening full of Netflix shows or perhaps a good book. Most importantly, it’s going to be a night of peace and quiet. 

Even if all this isn’t your idea of a great night, make sure to take time to find the things you love that allow you to de-stress and deflate every now and again!

Kennedi Awram

UWindsor '20

Kennedi Awram is a fourth-year undergraduate student in English and Creative Writing. She's an avid marvel comic fan and enjoys cooking, reading, and writing in her free time. Since she is currently learning the German language, she hopes to study abroad in Germany after graduating from the University of Windsor.