This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Make Your Bed

By: Serafina Piasentin

There has been much debate over what the most important time of day is. I’m here to convince you that it has nothing to do with time at all. In fact, the most important part of the day occurs as soon as you wake up and your feet hit the ground. From that moment, you are tasked with setting the mood for the rest of your day. Certain practices such as meditation, gratitude, a skin care routine, and indulging in a good breakfast are proven to manifest serotonin as well as a healthier perspective on life. 

But how should you start your daily ritual? The answer is quite simple but not necessarily obvious: Make your bed. Don’t give me that look. No, I am not your mom. Making your bed is the first step to a clean room, and a clean room is a healthy and nourishing environment capable of setting the foundation for an amazing day. But don’t take my word for it. Just ask Jordan Peterson, a clinical psychologist who is also a professor at the University of Toronto. He certainly isn’t your mom…

In a lecture, Dr. Peterson speaks about the advantages of cleaning your room, on the basis that your room is, in fact, a metaphor for your mind. In “CLEAN YOUR ROOM – Powerful Life Advice | Jordan Peterson” on Youtube, he articulates, “Just exactly what are you organizing? Are you organizing the objective world or are you organizing your field of being? Like your field of total experience?” To declutter your room is to declutter your mind, because your external environment is a projection of your internal state. Someone who has a messy home often seems unbalanced and fragile. In contrast, those who live in a neat and organized environment reflect this with an evident enjoyment of life. 

Carl Yung, who founded analytical psychology, as well as Buddhists believe that there is no difference between who you are and what you experience. The Buddah said, “All experiences are preceded by mind, having mind as their master, created by mind.” Everything is an extension of yourself, and to take care of yourself, you must first  take care of your environment. And what better place to start than by making your bed? 

Here is what I advise:

When you wake up, whenever that may be (though I recommend an hour between 6-10 am, giving you time to catch the sunrise), thank God for another day on this beautiful Earth. 

Write down 5 things for which you are grateful. (This could be your bed, your actual mom, or your favourite food!).

Make your bed: smooth the covers, pile your pillows (of which I have too many) and stuffed animals (if you still have some too special to part with) on top, then take a step back and bask in the satisfaction of an organized bed.

Eat breakfast, preferably something healthy (my go-to is eggs and toast with grape jam).

Wash up, because a clean body equates to a thriving soul. 

Take some time out of your day to clean your room (and I’m not asking for more than an hour!). 

Organize your desk, put away any neglected clothes… And when you feel as if your room is a place in which you would enjoy spending time, lean back and relax. 

After all, shouldn’t you be comfortable in the body God gave you andthe room you are so fortunate to have? Because let me tell you, you deserve to feel at home in your home. So the next time you feel stressed or out of place, remember this coping routine. If, by chance, you forget all of the wise tips Jordan Peterson, Carl Yung, the Buddah and I so generously provided you with, you only really have to hang on to three words:

Make Your Bed. 

Sources:

Clean Your Room | Jordan Peterson

My name is Serafina Piasentin and I'm enrolled in English Literature and Creative Writing at the University of Windsor. Writing has long since been a passion of mine, and I specialize in fiction and poetry. I have won and been published in numerous short story and poetry contests and have completed a fantasy trilogy. I aspire to be an author and this opportunity with Her Campus allows me to take a step closer to that dream! A bit about me outside of my writing career: I am a lifeguard and I play the piano. I consider myself an ambivert and I love adventures and meeting new people! Feel free to contact me on instagram: @serafinaarose or email me @serafinapiasentin@gmail.com <3 I also have a blog where I post my poems, stories, essays, literary reviews and more! You can find me here: https://serafinaarose.wixsite.com/wordalchemy