Culture > News

Lancers Giving Back: UWindsor Pre-Law Students’ Society Donates $1500 to Local Charity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

There are many great clubs, in addition to Her Campus, that can be found at the University of Windsor. The Pre-Law Students’ Society is a great group to look into if you have a passion for learning, the law, or giving back to your community. This student society is composed of undergraduate students from a range of faculties, who all share an interest in the legal field. They work to forge connections between undergraduates, law students, and professionals working in the local community. I have personally been a member of the executive team for the past year, and my involvement with this organization has been a meaningful experience alongside my role at Her Campus.

Last month, the Pre-Law Students’ Society hosted its 7th-annual Bid-On-A-Lawyer Gala, which brings students and other guests together with professionals in the community to benefit a local charity. To accomplish this goal, local professionals are generous enough to donate their time, which attendees can bid on to win a “day in the life” of the professional of their choice. This year, the society was thrilled to present a donation of $1500 to Hiatus House, thanks to many bidders’ charitable donations. Hiatus House is a non-profit social services organization which provides support and intervention for victims of domestic violence. It has played an active role in the Windsor-Essex community since 1976 and the Pre-Law Society’s donation will provide significant support to this great cause.

Gail O’Neil, president of the society, feels very passionate about leading the group to give back to the community while establishing connections between students and the professional sectors of Windsor. She states that “The Pre-Law Students’ Society strives to educate young undergraduate students about law school and the legal community in Windsor-Essex. Part of this is giving back to the community and helping those that are less fortunate, or in need of extra support. I am thrilled with this turnout of this event and incredibly proud to lead this dedicated and hard-working team of students.”

Being an undergraduate student can involve more than just academics – it is great to get involved with causes that matter to you. The recent contributions of the Pre-Law Students’ Society offer a chance for students to do this! If you are interested in learning more about this group, you can email any questions to plss@uwindsor.ca or find information on their Facebook page, @WindsorPLSS

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.