Life > Academics

How to Make This School Year Your Best One Yet!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Full disclosure, I used to dread back-to-school season rather than anticipating it. I truly despised the idea of going back-to-school shopping, waking up early for my classes, and having to sit through them for hours on end. Despite it being the season of pulling all-nighters, submitting back-to-back assignments, sitting through redundant lectures, and experiencing (multiple if not several) stressful moments, transitioning into a college student has drastically shifted my overall perspective on school in general. Believe it or not, I’ve actually gained a newfound appreciation for back-to-school season for various (and yes, logical) reasons. With that being said, keep reading to find out more about how to make this school year your best one yet!

1. Set Goals & intentions for yourself

Recently, I’ve gotten into the habit of setting goals for myself at the beginning of each academic school year. I find that doing this not only keeps me focused and motivated, but it helps me stay on track in terms of what I want to accomplish throughout the school year. Keep in mind that your goals/intentions do not have to be academia-related. For example, they could be as simple as going to bed on time, eating healthy, ensuring you  exercise on a consistent basis, or even making sure to give yourself breaks during study sessions. Whether your goals are personal or academia-related, do try to set them with the intention to actively work on them during the school year. I know, life tends to get busy during the semester. But accomplishing a goal can be (and is) extremely rewarding. You know what they say, change doesn’t happen overnight!

2. Make New Friends & Network!

If university has taught me anything, it’s that having a solid group of friends and individuals you can rely on will make your experience a whole lot more enjoyable. One way that I have gone about making new friends on campus has been by joining clubs! Trust me, I know that putting yourself out there can be extremely intimidating and nerve-wracking… but you’d be surprised to know that a lot of people are in the same boat! Joining campus clubs is one of the best ways to not only connect with people who share the same interests with you, but to make new friends and network (wink-wink!). In my case, I joined UWindsor’s CAOS club (the Caribbean African Organization of Students) and UWindsor’s HerCampus chapter. Joining these clubs has pushed me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to meet tons of cool people! Also, another great way to meet new people on campus is by attending sports games and campus events!

3. Join study groups & participate in class!

Attending lectures isn’t the most enjoyable aspect of university, but I’ve found that making an effort to engage with your courses makes enduring boring lectures a lot less painful. Instead of window-shopping on your favorite sites, watching Netflix, or aimlessly scrolling on socials to pass the time during your lectures, attempt to make an effort to participate in class! Trust me, it’ll make time go by way faster and in the process, you’ll learn a thing or two and make a good impression on your profs! In addition, make an effort to find a study buddy or to join a study group (in each of your classes if you can!) with your fellow classmates so that you can share notes and study with them throughout the semester. This will be extremely helpful for when exam season rolls around or if you end up missing a lecture or two throughout the semester.

To sum it up, back-to-school season doesn’t necessarily have to be dreadful. If anything, by making the most of your academic experience, you could make this school year your best one yet! 

Tina Ighorewo

UWindsor '23

Hi! My name is Tina. My writing interests revolve around my passions which are social justice issues, current events, pop culture, and opinion pieces. :)