How to Remain Calm, Cool and Collected During School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Although University/College is the essential time to expand your horizons and to experience life- changing moments, oftentimes, it can be overwhelming and stressful on your mind, body, and spirit. Between choosing classes, maintaining grades, and trying to develop your future, it is no secret that 9 times out of 10 your education is the root of all of your agony. In order to avoid these traumatic emotions and to maintain a healthy academic career, keep reading to learn a few ways to uwind and retain a balanced lifestyle.

1) Colorfy App

Colorfy is a app for your phone that acts as a colouring therapy. Though much like the “adult colouring books” seen in our local book stores, this is a cellular version that will not only save you money, but you can redo your artwork at any point you want. You are given many different colours and beautiful patterns to choose from, so you will never grow tired of this app. The best part about this app is that is it FREE- yes, FREE! This app is great when you need a quick break from studying and are looking for a distraction apart from social media. Focus on yourself and allow your creativity to expand.

2) Triangle Breathing

This technique may sound odd, however, it was recommended to me by my doctor and I do not go a single day without doing this. There are 3 steps to this breathing technique that are to be repeated as many times until you feel relaxed.

Step 1. Breathe in for 4 seconds

Step 2. Hold that breath for 4 seconds

Step 3. Breathe out for 4 seconds

REPEAT!

By doing this, it allows you to focus on your breathing, and only your breathing. This technique is perfect when you are feeling anxious and are unable to find a way to calm your self, or if you are angry or upset and need to distract your mind from your emotions. Obviously breathing is important, however, concentrated breathing is the secret to combat anxiety.

3) Practice Patience

As young adults, we are constantly in a rush to grow up. We all wished high school would end, and when it did, we all reflect on our high school memories and the simpler times, and wish we could go back. Patience is something we must have in order to enjoy the current moment and to appreciate how far we’ve truly come. We must practice new habits in order to achieve this, which may be difficult, but well worth it. For example:

-The next time you go shopping, park at the back of the lot and enjoy the walk into the store and become more aware of your surroundings.

-Although this is difficult for most of us, try spending a few hours a day away from your phone, your laptop and any technology or media displacing you from your current environment. You will gain a true appreciation for the environment you are blessed to be in.

When we learn to live in the present opposed to the future, this will ensure that we develop patience and an appreciation for our current situations.

I hope you all practice these steps in achieving a calm, cool and collected lifestyle this winter semester. Thank you for reading today, HC Readers. Happy New Year and welcome to a new semester. Xo

Alanna Keren

UWindsor '20

Alanna is currently a 1st year student at the University of Windsor pursuing a degree in Education. She graduated from the University of WIndsor with double major in English and French in 2018. She was Co-CC/Editior in Chief of HCUWindsor from 2015-2018 and is now the Tresaurer and Guidance Counsellor. She is a figure skater and loves to get in some extra ice time in her free time. Her favourite animal is a polar bear and her favourite colour is purple. She love sparkles. Her clothing style is girly and kind of dressy. Sparkly make-up and big earrings are a big part of her look. When she is not doing homework, working at her job at Tootsies Shoe Store, coaching figure skating, or writing for Her Campus, she likes decorating cakes and cupcakes and hanging out with friends.