This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Lunch is an important meal and one that many of us may neglect or forget (if we have a busy day ahead), choosing instead to snack on sugary items. However, it is important not to skip lunch (even if you opt for healthier snack alternatives), because this could lead to fatigue and sluggishness that persists throughout the day. This will cause you to feel cranky, less productive, and you might find yourself more tired than usual. The key here is that lunch is critical to get you through that tough work-day or even through an afternoon three-hour lecture. Here are some fun meal prep ideas to try: 

1)    Vegetable Ramen with Mushrooms and Bok Choy 

If you love ramen and you frequently find yourself making a bowl of ramen to get you through your homework, this might just be for you. This option is packed full of nutrients with mushrooms, peas, and cilantro. Plus you can always add in your favourite source of protein, like chicken or beef. Check out the recipe here

2)    Chickpea Chicken 

This Spanish-inspired lunch comprises baking chickpeas, golden-brown chicken, along with an assortment of peppers and veggies. You can pair this with rice or boiled pasta if you need some extra carbs on the side. The chicken can also be substituted for tofu or other protein sources (depending on personal preference). Check out the recipe here.

3)    Avocado Shrimp Salad 

Craving some Cajun shrimp topped with cilantro lemon dressing? This option is perfect for you! This a great fresh meal that consists of avocados and shrimp. The shrimp can always be substituted for an egg or some chicken. Check out the recipe here.

4)    Chopped Thai Salad

This salad consists of numerous veggies like cucumbers, edamame, carrots, peppers (red, yellow, or BOTH!), along with cilantro. These veggies are topped with a creamy peanut dressing (which can be prepared separately and then added when you’re ready to eat the salad).  You can also add your own veggies and protein source which can all be tweaked to personal preference. Check out the recipe here.

5)    Chicken Stir Fry 

This recipe comprises a ton of veggies, such as mushrooms, carrots, and peppers that are tossed in with chicken (you can use shrimp or make it meatless).  The marinade adds flavor and, when tossed in with the veggies and chicken, really adds flavor to the entire stir-fry, tying it all together. Check out the recipe here.

More nutritious lunch options, instead of take-out, can improve learning, your own diet, and cognitive development (https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brown-center-chalkboard/2017/05/03/how-the-quality-of-school-lunch-affects-students-academic-performance/). This sheds light on the importance of the role that a healthy lunch can have on your day-to-day life. These recipes can also be substituted and tweaked based on your dietary preferences, plus you can always click on the recipe and find other recipes on the sites to try out. Making these dishes may take time, but you are going to be eager to try these out when it’s lunchtime!  

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.