nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Demolishing Walls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Demolishing Walls is a social organization, at the University of Windsor, that I started back in my first year as an undergraduate student. Why did I start it? Solely due to a passion for healthcare, and a desire to explore mental health initiatives, at UWindsor. Although, there is great progress, many people aren’t aware of the role this plays in healthcare. Mental health is still  a big issue, and it is often misunderstood. I began to notice the lack of mental health facilities, a couple of years ago when I started volunteering at hospitals and retirement homes. This sparked my desire to learn more, and was also why I decided to start this project.

Recently, Demolishing Walls did an event at Hotel Dieu Grace Healthcare. The event was aimed at raising awareness for geriatric mental health. We went around the hospital spreading love and giving carnations out. It was an eye-opening experience making so many people happy, and appreciating their numerous strengths. Many of the patients residing there have no family and often times suffer from extreme loneliness, so it was rewarding to recognize  them.

Additionally, aside from patient recognition events Demolishing Walls is also aiming at integrating mental health into primary healthcare. Making mental health services more accessible and affordable, recognizing trauma in women, acknowledging cultural and gender differences, and finding ways to effectively treat patients from different backgrounds. It is also important to shed light on minorities, people of color, and the LGBTQ+ which the club also does.  

Education is the main goal, and by eradicating misconceptions and irrational beliefs, raising more awareness can all really go a long way. This will help gain accessibility to resources and make it a more acceptable topic. Many cultures and religions view mental health as a “weakness” and prioritize physical health, despite it being 2018. So by holding debates, fundraisers, and more patient-recognition events it can really go a long way. Mental health disorders are highly prevalent, and people need to be accepted for who they are. They shouldn’t have to feel vulnerable, or ashamed of seeking help. Instead more people should be asked if they’re okay, twice, if not once. That can also go a long way, because you never know who may be struggling – old or young.

Demolishing Walls also highlights the importance of having a voice and standing up for what you believe in, because it a) builds self-confidence, and b) helps get your point across. It is important to get your point across, and not agree with the general population. This makes you unique, and can also be a source of change. By disagreeing and stating your valid points, with justification, you can potentially be a part of the solution. This is why Demolishing Walls is built on having a unique voice.

Geriatric mental health is also a great cause, because you don’t see enough efforts being made to facilitate this particular cohort. Most mental health facilities are aimed at assisting the youth and teens. By organizing a bake sale, doing some fundraising, and organizing events like these we are closer to eradicating some of this stigma.

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.