This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Burnout is something that we all experience at some point in our lives. We can only handle so much for so long. Constantly feeling overwhelmed and overworked is not an accomplishment.

Juggling school, work, household duties, extracurricular activities, and whatever else you may have on your plate is no easy job.

To help, I have put together steps to take from the first sign of burnout, to tips for dealing with burnout so you can begin recovering!

Do I Have Any Burnout Signs?

Burnout can look different for everyone, so these may not necessarily be what you are feeling.

Some common signs include:

–   Self-doubt and feeling like a failure

–   Loss of motivation

–   Exhaustion and fatigue (emotional and physical)

–   Isolation and detachment

–   Constant irritability

Why am I Feeling this Way?

Figure out why you are feeling any of the ways I have listed above. Is it because you are taking too many courses? Rude co-workers or managers? Unfair judgment against you? Lack of boundaries? Lack of quality time for yourself?

Understand that burnout doesn’t happen overnight. It is a breaking point that causes you to go over the edge. Take some time out with yourself and think about exactly why you are overwhelmed. Ask yourself this question: What is it in my life that is causing me to feel this way?

Tips to Dealing with Burnout

After figuring out what you are feeling, the next step is to lessen the stressors. Sometimes what is leading to our burnout may not be in our control, but we can always take the time to feel better.

Self-care: This can change everything as lack of self-care tends to be one of the main reasons for burnout. Schedule time to do the things that will make you happy, whether it is working out, watching a movie, putting on a face mask, or chilling in the bathtub. Take at least an hour of the day or even 10 minutes to focus on yourself!

Set Boundaries: Learning to say “no” can be one of the best things you can do. This doesn’t mean saying no to anything coming your way; it means to say no to things you know will just add to your worries. Setting boundaries needs to be done for all aspects of your life from school, to work, and your social life. If your weekend is full, don’t be scared to say no to another plan and never be ashamed of setting boundaries.

Delegate: Asking for help won’t make you any smaller or make you weak. If you find yourself struggling to do everything yourself, hand off your tasks to a trusted one. Ask co-workers to take on a project, or a group member to take the lead.

Don’t forget your needs: Many people caught up in life tend to forget to do things that make them human. These are not self-care tips; they are things you need to do every single day:

–   Get restful sleep every night

–   Eat healthy meals and drink enough water

–   Get some exercise in each day

–   Spend time with loved ones, including time alone

If you find yourself reaching a point where your burnout is just seemingly getting worse, try talking to a therapist. Windsor has many good options for you to reach out to, including UWindsor’s Student Counseling Centre.

Here are some great links for you to reach out to:

–   Student Counseling Centre

–   Aligned and Well

–  Be You Be True Counselling

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.