Catching Up With Student Activist Farah El-Hajj

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

You may remember our interview last year with Student Leader and Political Science student Farah El-Hajj. At the time, she had just met the Premier of Ontario as a part of a student panel working to end sexual violence at Ontario universities. Since then, Farah has been determined and diligent in working for this cause. We caught up with Farah one year later to get some updates.

We interviewed you last year just after you met Kathleen Wynne, the Premier of Ontario. Since then, what have you been up to?

Since I was last interviewed, and after meeting with Premier Kathleen Wynne, I’ve been active on the Sexual Assault Policy working group, and helped draft the Sexual Assault Policy for UWindsor. Aside from working on the actual policy, I have focused my sexual assault activism on awareness and prevention. In the awareness portion, I have presented in front of a traveling committee of Members of Provincial Parliament discussing sexual violence on our campus; I have worked with different students and student groups to bring awareness to the issue that is prevalent on our campus; and I have, through social media, pitched ideas and received responses on what is needed for our campus. As prevention, I have taken the Bringing in the Bystander workshop which is an asset to our campus – it teaches students about sexual assaults, when to intervene and how to be a prosocial, pro-active bystander. I recommend this program to every single student on campus!

Lastly, on International Women’s Day on March 8th 2016, I will be in Mississauga discussing UWindsor’s advancements on sexual assault related issues on the television show, ‘Insight’. I am super excited to address the advancements, which will hopefully encourage other activists around the country to push for stand-alone policies and campuses that have a zero tolerance for sexual violence. 

You’re in your final year at the university — what are your big plans post-graduation?

I’m really sad to have to leave UWindsor… But I’ve made the promise to students and to myself that I will always be fully devoted and committed to sexual assault activism on our campus. The policy has yet to be implemented, so students can guarantee that I will be around, and I will ensure that the policy is efficient and useful. I’m planning to take a year off for my mental health, and securing a big girl job! 

Did you see Lady Gaga’s performance at the Oscars? If so, what did you think of it?

Lady Gaga’s performance was truly amazing; it sheds light on an issue that is so unfortunately common and prevalent in our society. Her message is so important. It personally touched me because I’ve been told before that I shouldn’t be discussing sexual assaults, or that I don’t deserve certain positions of power on campus because I haven’t experienced sexual assault – but before I begin any conversation on the issues, I address that I am not speaking on the behalf of any particular victims or survivors – but I’d rather see myself as a sister, and ally and a friend to those who have experienced it and who are experiencing it. I stand in solidarity with the sisters who have to live with the trauma and who are coping and becoming stronger than ever. I am glad that sexual violence is an issue that is receiving attention, whether locally on campus or globally. It is an issue that has to be dealt with. It is important that we create campuses that are rape culture free, campuses that support and provide safety for each and every student, and by creating programs that will help victims and survivors recover. 

Since you began championing the issue, what advances has the University of Windsor made towards preventing sexual assault and protecting victims of the crime?  

Soon, UWindsor will be first of many universities and colleges that has a stand-alone sexual assault policy. The Provincial government has stressed the need for every institution to have a policy. Thankfully, the Dean of Students, Dr. Clayton Smith, has opened up the committee to two more students (not including myself) which really brings students perspectives to the issues. Especially when, according to the Canadian Federation of Students, 1 in 4 women on campus will experience sexual assault; this statistic is very high and hopefully soon will become a part of history. The policy will be implemented by the end of this semester, hopefully – and this will allow for students to have a policy that clearly describes what is sexual assault, where victims and survivors can go for help, and resources and the consequences to those committing these disgusting crimes.

UWindsor has come a long way within a year thanks to active advocates on our campus. However, there is lots more to do. Creating a zero-tolerance for sexual violence campus, rape culture free campus, and a campus that is safe and secure are necessary steps to ensure that sexual violence becomes history. 

I would like to thank Her Campus, and every single student and faculty on our campus who have supported my initiatives, work, and recommendations. It has been a blast UWindsor; these past four years have been incredible and I will remember them for the rest of my life.

Maggie is a 5th year Political Science and Law Specialization student at the University of Windsor. Originally from from Kitchener, Ontario, she is a proud feminist, vegetarian, and Netflix addict. She aspires to figure out what it is she aspires to do. Follow her on Twitter (@MaggieParkhill) or on Instagram (maggieparkhill).