The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.
Throaty Wipes – Susan Holbrook

Throaty Wipes represents the spirit of conceptual poetry experimenting with form and language itself. Unlike most books of conceptual poetry, Throaty Wipes does not start or end with an overarching thesis or concept that runs throughout the book. Instead, the book asks us what language really is, playing with our built-in associations of poetry, prose, and grammatical expectations to challenge our perceptions of language itself.

Zong! – M. NourbeSe Philip

Zong! offers a poignant examination of the slave ship Zong that set sail in 1781, the captain of which threw 150 Africans overboard after he made numerous navigational errors that caused the journey to be severely extended and the ship to run out of food and fresh water. Each poem is made using the insurance claim for the 150 enslaved Africans massacred. While the insurers initially refused to reimburse the ship, the owner took legal action and received the amounts that the 150 African slave cargo was worth.

SKY WRI TEI NGS – Nasser Hussain

SKY WRI TEI NGS (pronounced Sky Writings) utilizes airport area codes to create a series of poems and sentences made up of only the airport arrival and departure codes applied to each flight. This results in poems that are fun and challenging to read, as it plays off sound. This is definitely one of those poetry books where you’ll want to read it out loud!

EarthQuacks– Michael e. Casteels

Published by Puddles of Sky Press, EarthQuacks is a wonderful little chapbook in the form of an envelope and cards. On each card is a mini word poem where two whole words are combined to create another word resembling larger compound words Ex.HellBench or DriveThrow. Not only are the cards fun and creative, but the format allows them to be shared and passed forward making sharing the punnyness easy and enjoyable.

Get Me Out of Here – Sachiko Murakami

Like SKY WRI TEI NGS, Get Me Out of Here utilizes travel and airports as the setting for this collection. Murakami asked friends to write down the first thought or a sight they have while travelling in an airport and utilizes each quote to create individual unique and wonderful conceptual poems. This leaves readers questioning what and where home is, and doubting everything you know about airports.

Same Diff – Donato Mancini

Same Diff plays with language as we know it. Utilizing text short forms, grammar, and poetic conventions, this collection creates a series of poetry that asks the reader to question how we communicate.

Bridget Heuvel

UWindsor '22

Bridget is a writer for Her Campus Windsor. She's an English Language and Literature student at the University of Windsor who has a love of chocolate, wandering at night, and all things literature.