sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

2019 Vibes We’re Stanning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

2019 Vibes We’re Stanning

It’s 2019. We’re already (almost) done January. You’ve probably seen tons of posts about people’s New Year’s resolutions and all this talk of change. For a lot of us, January is usually a trial period, and the new year usually kicks off early February. Regardless of if you have a ton of resolutions or if you have none this year, this article is going to talk about the vibes, the energy, and the space you want to cultivate all throughout 2019. Here are my top five vibes of 2019 that I (and I’m pretty sure all of you) are stanning:

1)    Driving in our lanes:

Last year I was super involved in other people’s business.This led ito a lot of unnecessary drama. 2019 is the year that we’re going to focus on driving our cars steadily in our own lanes, minding our own business, keeping our business lowkey, and driving straight ahead to success.

2)    Taking out the trash:

2019 is the year that we’re going to finally take out the trash – both figuratively and actually. This is the year to let all pointless, one-sided, and draining relationships go. You deserve the best, so why continue watering a dead flower? Stop texting them first, stop sending your notes to that same person who skips class every week, and stop ignoring the signs that someone might be cheating on you. Rid yourself of all that unnecessary baggage, girl.

3)    Keeping the radius small:

I am referring to social circles – keep the radius small. Often times people get bogged down by numbers, but it really is all about quality of relationships. Keep the friends you can call once in a blue moon close and the friends who’d be willing to meet up with you on a rainy Tuesday evening even closer. These are the types of friends you can rely on. You don’t see them everyday, but you can still have a meaningful conversation with them when you do see them. The relationship isn’t fueled by superficial needs, and it is a reciprocal one – something that we’re keeping in 2019.

4)    Goodbye insecurity:

A lot of us probably feel insecure when we come across a colleague who’s doing better than us, or someone on Instagram who is going to the gym three times a day. This demotivates us, undermines us, and often leads to laziness. It is important to remember that everything isn’t always what it seems. Your ex might have a fake smile plastered onto their face to make you feel like you’re missing out. That person might be lying about their 99.9% on that test.  That celebrity might not be all that they seem to be. Start using logic to analyze these situations instead of believing that you’re not good enough or that you can’t attain the same milestones that they’re seemingly attaining. You can (and you WILL) attain them.

5)    Me first:

For a lot of us, putting ourselves first can seem selfish, and in 2018 we’d often put people first. This putting others first (always) attitude can be detrimental to our own progress. No more of this in 2019. We’re going to drink our vitamin water, buy that bold lipstick shade, and get those manicures done (or any other self-care option you deem worthy). For more on self-care check out these lovely features:

Ivana Iliev’s feature(s) on the importance of self-care:

https://www.hercampus.com/school/uwindsor/self-care-reminder

https://www.hercampus.com/school/uwindsor/2019-year-prioritizing-yourself

Anna Karch’s feature on burnout:

https://www.hercampus.com/school/uwindsor/balance-or-burnout

2018 may have been a year of great lessons learned, hardships faced, and growth. But 2019 is where it’s at. This is the year that we have the potential to change, grow even more, and start implementing what we’ve learned. We’re going to do us. Our needs will take priority. We’re going to love our bodies and put our needs first – physically, mentally, spiritually, etc. In 2019 we’re going to treat and love ourselves the way we deserve to be treated and loved.  

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.