Two Reasons to Love the Smaller University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWG chapter.

There is a familiar saying that says “The bigger the better.”

However, when it comes to a university to invest in your education, I don’t know how true this saying rings. I’m not saying that the huge D1 school tailgates and large state university’s aren’t amazing, let’s be real they are. What im really saying is, the smaller universities that sometimes go unnoticed or seem underrated really should be appreciated more than they are for several reasons.

I’ve learned to value the true benefits that have come from my tight knit community here at the University of West Georgia that I don’t think I could have gotten anywhere else. From making lasting relationships with my professors who know me by name, receiving a friendly hello and the brightest smile from my university’s president, to getting involved in organizations that have given me the opportunity to realize my true potential. These simple instances have been pivotal in my college career. Although sometimes smaller university’s fly under the radar, here are some reasons bigger isn’t always better.

1. The Sense of Community

I am a huge advocate in quality of company. Which is why after these last three years, this is what I have learned to value the most.  Attending a smaller university fosters a sense of community. When talking with faculty, students and professors, I get an impression that I am truly valuable in and out of the classroom. I am not just another student in a large lecture identified by a school ID number. This sense of community gives professors the willingness to go above and beyond to ensure academic success of each student. I’ve learned questions are always encouraged and my professors here are willing to take the time to instill skills that I will need in my future career.

1. The Opportunities Available  

The things I’ve been able to accomplish and do while attending the University of West Georgia have greatly shaped me. You always hear that college is a period of tremendous growth, I believe this is true because of the experiences that I have had while attending my university. I have been able to lead organizations, work with companies in my community and gain real life work experience within my college. In bigger environments, there are limited options and opportunities for this type of hands on experience.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t’ matter where you graduated from but what you took away other than your diploma and degree title.

Senior at the University of West Georgia Public Relations Lover of Coffee, Fashion & Beauty
I am a senior at the University of West Georgia, currently studying Mass communications/Public Relations. I am a lover of life, family, friends and doing things that bring happiness to others. I truly believe the world is full of positivity if we are open to wholeheartedly accept it. I am passionate about the inclusion of others, seeing the beauty in all people and things, and creating lasting relationships with people. Ever since I can remember, I’ve enjoyed creating things and expressing my creativity through design and artistic expression. I am an avid stationery addict, DIY junkie, and lover all things beauty, fashion and lifestyle.