Stressed Out About College? Read This.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWG chapter.

College, you’ve gotta love it. Really, college is great. The friendships and experience lead to memories that can never be forgotten. But then, there’s the schoolwork side of things… Don’t get me wrong. I LOVE learning new things, and I’ve honestly enjoyed most of the classes I’ve taken throughout my college years. With that being said, it can get a little bit overwhelming. All the homework and projects and presentations and tests and quizzes – it seems never ending! And it can get straight up stressful. If you are at a point in your college career where you just feel overwhelmed and stressed out, read on.

Photo by Clarisse Meyer on Unsplash

1. First things, first: know you’re not alone. As college students, we go through a point (or ten) where we’re just ready to call it quits on college. Ask any college student and they’ll tell you in a heartbeat of a time they wanted to give up. So just breathe and whenever you feel like you’re ready to throw in the towel, think of college students all over the planet who are going through the same thing. That oughta calm your nerves! 2. Next, clear the clutter: re-evaluate, re-focus. Is there something in your life holding you back from reaching your full potential (don’t say English 1101)? Are you maybe taking on too many tasks, joining too many clubs, doing too many things? Now is the time to look at your life and figure out what needs to go and what needs to stay. Choose wisely. Then re-focus. Look at the list of activities, clubs, etc. you choose to keep and re-focus on each of those things.

Photo by STIL on Unsplash

3. Get Organized: once you’ve chosen the activities you want to stick with, write them down! I suggest taking a sheet of paper, or opening the Notes app on your phone, and writing down every club, organization, and intramural sport that you’re a part of. Writing down thoughts, feelings, and even schedules can really take a load off of you. Often when I write things down, my workload doesn’t look too bad after all. 4. Set Goals: and keep them. We live in a world where goals are something to value and get excited about, so get excited! Set realistic goals and be intentional about reaching them. Maybe you have to finish an assignment by the end of the week. Set up mini goals (i.e. completing part 1 of the assignment by the end of the day) to help you get to your bigger goals.

Photo by Charles Etoroma on Unsplash

5. Treat yourself for a job well done: you’ve made it this far. There’s no turning back now. So celebrate your success. Eat cheesecake, take a bubble bath, watch your favorite Netflix show, get that new eyeshadow palette. Treat yourself because you most definitely deserve it. I hope that just by reading this article, you feel a little less overwhelmed. What do you do to help you when you’re feeling overwhelmed? Let us know in the comments!

Featured Image: Photo by Element5 Digital on Unsplash  

Itunu is a senior at the University of West Georgia. She is a Mass Communications major with a concentration on journalism, and a Creative Writing minor. In other words, she loves to write. She also loves Jesus, and enjoys food, Instagram, shoes and Pinterest. Itunu loves learning new things and hopes to become a fashion journalist one day. In her free time, she likes spending time with her friends and family, watching YouTube videos (or Netflix), and sleeping.