Squash Recipes You MUST Try Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWG chapter.

Believe it or not squash contains a wide variety of health benefits. Squash contains vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin E. Squash has also been proven to prevent breast cancer as it contains many minerals such as magnesium, potassium, copper, calcium and iron.

If you are one who is not the biggest fan of squash, try these recipes and you will not regret it!

1. Love spaghetti and want to make it healthier? Try Spaghetti Squash!

Spaghetti squash has become popular throughout the internet and is one of the easiest things to make. In fact, you can make spaghetti squash faster than regular noodles!

Items you will need:

• 1 medium to large spaghetti squash
  • Extra virgin olive oil, optional

• Pesto, tomato, Alfredo sauce (whichever you prefer)

Instructions:

1. Poke holes with a fork in the squash so heat is able to travel through the squash.

2. Put squash in the microwave for 10 minutes

3. Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds with a large spoon.

4. Place the squash back in the microwave for about 10 more minutes. Make sure the squash is soft before taking it out of the microwave, (warning it might be hot, use an oven mitt so you don’t hurt your hands)

5. Using a regular sized fork, pull and scrape the squash, finishing with a spoon to remove all flesh from shell. Discard the outer shell.

6. Place the noodle shaped squash in a big bowl and add whichever sauces you would eat with normal spaghetti.

Serve yourself a dish and enjoy your home cooked, healthy meal! It is as easy as that!

2. Are you one that love tater tots? Try these delicious Tater Tots with your left over noodles from your spaghetti!

With only 4 ingredients you will be able to taste one of the best squash recipes out there!

Here is what you will need:

1. 1 1/2 cups packed cooked spaghetti squash

2. 1 cup panko bread crumbs

3. 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

4. 1 large egg

Instructors:

1) Chop spaghetti squash into small pieces that look like shredded squash.

2)  In a large bowl, add in all ingredients. Mix with a spoon until everything is thoroughly combined and the mixture is moistened.

3) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and get a nonstick oven pan

4) Use a small spoon and scoop up some of the squash batter. Use your hands to make the squash batter into a cylinder/tator tot shape. Place each one on the nonstick grease pan spacing each tator tot 1 ½ to 2 inches apart.

5) Place tator tots into the oven for 18-20 minutes and then flip them over for about 3-4 minutes.

Once they are cooled off from the oven they are ready to be served! It is as easy as that! Have your delicious tator tots ready for your guest in less than 25 minutes!

3. Love chips but aren’t into the calories that swing along with it? Try some Squash chips!

Ingredients you will need for squash chips:

1. Small yellow squashes. About 2-3 for a 2 person serving.

2. Salt

3. Vegetable oil

4. Seasonings you like on your chips, it is all up to you!

Instructors:

Wash the squash off to remove all bacteria. Taking a small sharp knife slowly cut the squash into very thin slices. Take your time on this step because it is easy to cut yourself when cutting skinny slices. Once you have cut all of the squash up get a big bowl and put the squash slices in the bowl. Take a tablespoon of vegetable oil getting each slice of squash covered in the oil. Then taking a non-stick pan place the squash slices on the pan, do not allow them to touch one another. Sprinkle salt and your choice of seasoning on the slices. Place pan of squash slice into the 200 degree oven. In 2 hours check on the chips and decide how crunchy you want them to be. The more time in the oven the crunchier they are going to be!

Once you take them out of the oven you will have yourself a healthy bowl of chips! Enjoy!

Featured image: Photo by Brooke Cagle on Unsplash

I am a junior at The University of West Georgia. I am studying Mass Communications broadcasting and journalism as well as minoring in Marketing.
Itunu is a senior at the University of West Georgia. She is a Mass Communications major with a concentration on journalism, and a Creative Writing minor. In other words, she loves to write. She also loves Jesus, and enjoys food, Instagram, shoes and Pinterest. Itunu loves learning new things and hopes to become a fashion journalist one day. In her free time, she likes spending time with her friends and family, watching YouTube videos (or Netflix), and sleeping.