“Here” is Where You’re Supposed to be – Present Living in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWG chapter.

Let’s face it, in today’s world I’m not the only one guilty of looking ahead, planning for the future, or trying to go back in time. We are constantly “going” or “doing” but never really “living.” What’s the point of trying to arrange a picture perfect future or arrive at the final destination if we forget to enjoy the moments in between? 

College can be hard, busy weeks and overloaded scheduling is nothing new in my book. However, it’s also the best four years of our lives. College is a time of dysfunctional study sessions turned into all nighters, socials and crush parties, date nights and game days. It’s the time of our lives that we are allowed to unravel without judgments and figure out who we’re supposed to be. So lets stop constantly fretting over past mistakes or worrying about what our future might hold because right this second is what will impact us  now!

Here are some helpful tips to get the most out of your day while staying in the Present Moment:

1. Have a Positive Mind  –  In every situation there can be two outcomes. You are able to choose how you handle or manipulate life events. If it starts raining at that outdoor concert that you’ve been anticipating for weeks, swing with the punches, and live life to the fullest!  I dare you to dance in the rain and be present. Just because life tends to stray from our exact expectation, doesn’t’ mean it can’t turn out better. So now your probably thinking about the drive home in your wet clothes, but fear not. I guarantee you that this funny unexpected memory will be worth it if you keep that positive mindset. 

2. Practice breathing or meditating – This might seem like a no-brainer, but sometimes we forget how much we can unwind with a few deep breaths. You can find different breathing exercises, guided meditations or podcasts online to help ease anxiety, stress and your daily chaos. Another idea to help get you back in the present moment is engaging in Pilates or  yoga to start or end your day. Taking a break from that crazy schedule will save you from  many potential breakdowns. I know you get where im coming from -we’ve all been there. 

3. Pay Attention – What I mean by this, is stop and smell the Roses. Take your surroundings in wherever you may go and you’ll learn to be more mindful. When you’re walking to that dreaded 8 A.M lecture class, be sure to take in all of the leaves hitting the ground as it changes from summer to fall. 

Today, I challenge you to take a break from the crazy college life your living and focus on the moment you have now. Don’t stress the test you have coming up- your grade isn’t going to make or break you. Don’t rush the little things away, because before you know it they will be gone. Live in this present moment today because I think you’ll learn that ” here” is where were supposed to be.

I am a senior at the University of West Georgia, currently studying Mass communications/Public Relations. I am a lover of life, family, friends and doing things that bring happiness to others. I truly believe the world is full of positivity if we are open to wholeheartedly accept it. I am passionate about the inclusion of others, seeing the beauty in all people and things, and creating lasting relationships with people. Ever since I can remember, I’ve enjoyed creating things and expressing my creativity through design and artistic expression. I am an avid stationery addict, DIY junkie, and lover all things beauty, fashion and lifestyle.