Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Dear Girl, You Don’t Deserve To Be in A Toxic Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWG chapter.

As little girls, we imagine having the fairytale love story when we grow up. We want our prince charming and the castle on the hill. Sometimes we confuse different things with the fairytale that isn’t always happily ever after.

You meet a guy that looks and sounds like Prince Charming. He’s sweet and waits on you hand and foot, he’s nice to your friends. He’s a gentleman when he meets the family. Everything is just great but then you get behind closed doors. His compliments turn to insults, he starts wanting you to hang out with him more. He doesn’t want you to see your guy friends and even your girlfriends. He’s going through your phone and wants your passwords to your accounts. Sometimes he yells at you and even hits you.

You keep saying he just has an anger problem. Saying it was your fault, he’s having a bad day. It’s not your fault, it’s more than just an anger problem, this isn’t love. This is toxicity that people use to possess you and control you as theirs. I’ve seen friends and family members stay in these situations for years. If you are reading this and this is part of your relationship, listen to what I’m saying here.

You don’t deserve to be treated this way. You deserve to be treated like a human being and to be loved and respected. You can leave and start again and find real happiness.

I'm a senior at UWG. I'm majoring in Biology and minoring in psychology. I've loved writing and all about female empowerment and succeeding in college. My hobbies are writing, of course, dance, shopping, and my Youtube channel, Simply Simone.