Why You Should Play Pokémon GO, Even If You Hate Pokémon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Because of my slightly nerdy nature, I downloaded Pokémon GO the day it came out. THE DAY. Instantly, my first catch of the game was my go to Charizard. I never watched the show or had cards when I was a kid, but Fire Red was one of the first games I had owned for the pink Gameboy Advance I won in a bingo competition. The worst part is that I’m pretty sure I didn’t buy it. I found the cartridge “abandoned” on the sidewalk next to my apartment building.

Thanks to that fateful day, the Pokémon line of games has proved to be a relaxing euphoric flashback to childhood. I had to get this game. Usually, I would only suggest videogames to the people who don’t find them a waste of time or are ready and willing to waste their time. On the contrary, I think that everyone should get it, and here’s why.

1. You will be more active

I try to work out, but it’s hard to get out there every day. This is my number one favorite thing about Pokémon GO. You have to be active. It is perfect for running and biking. Now, thinking about running doesn’t make me want to eat a pint of ice-cream. In the first two days I went walking, running, and biking in-between volunteering and dealing with my never-empty email inbox.

2. Multi-tasking is easy

Pokémon GO allows you to play a complex videogame while doing whatever you usually do, like exercising or running errands.

3. You will see more of your surroundings

Number three on my list of why I like Pokémon GO is that it chooses local landmarks as way points. In other words, you get rewarded with items you need on your quest by seeing cool parts of your town you may have overlooked. Today, I biked to a park I pass all the time but never pay attention to, and I loved it. And as a bonus, one of the places I volunteer at is a gym in the game, so I went on a Friday, a day I don’t usually go. I spent about ten minutes on the game, and then volunteered two hours of my time. Because of Pokémon Go, I have ironically been healthier and more aware of my surroundings. To top it all off, this game is free despite some in-app purchases.

The game does have a few frustrating bugs. For instance, the servers go out easily and the gyms glitch often, but I expect these problems will soon reside. I suggest that if you do use the app that you don’t use it in cars if you are driving. I also recommend spending time at the destinations it takes you to as well. Have fun, and catch them all!

Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs