What You Need to Know About Mental Health at UWF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Chadron State College in Nebraska states that, “More than 25 percent of college students have been diagnosed or treated by a professional for a mental health condition within the past year.” That’s one in four students. One in four students who you walked passed today is battling mental illness. If you are that one person, I want you to know that you are not alone.

From Nov. 13-17, UWF SGA is hosting Mental Health Awareness Week, which will encourage students to be aware of their mental health and understand its importance in college. Throughout the week they’ll bring a variety of events for students including one at the John C. Pace library on Tuesday, Nov. 14 called “FitDesk Study Jam”.

As a student at UWF, you have access all year around to different mental health services that are free. We wholeheartedly encourage you to take advantage of them:

1. Need to talk out something that is really bothering you or find a solution to bottled up anxiety? UWF Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is just the place to do it, and counseling services are free to students! Sessions generally run from 45-50 minutes and you can schedule an appointment by visiting the office or calling 850-474-2420.

2. Have you ever heard of Bio-Feedback? The Mayo Clinic says, “With biofeedback, you’re connected to electrical sensors that help you receive information (feedback) about your body (bio).” Not only is Bio-Feedback a possible solution to decreasing anxiety and stress, but it’s also a free service offered by UWF Counseling & Psychological Services.

3. Need a place to unwind and destress? UWF offers a free weekly meditation hour! It’s located in the UWF HLS facility every Tuesday from 12-1 p.m. The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health reports that 8 percent of U.S. adults used meditation to potentially influence mental health! So get out there and enjoy some free meditative vibes!

Here at UWF, mental health is a core value. The university offers students a multitude of options to stay healthy and get help if needed. If you are interested in joining the cause to raise mental health awareness there are several ways that you can do so. On CAPS’s website you can find the contact information for a few organizations that have joined together to achieve the same goal: prevent mental health illness and suicide.

Lastly, if you are a student who is having suicidal thoughts, I urge you to contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-237-TALK (8255) because you do matter and you’re not alone.

Cover photo via Health.mil

Nature lover, turtle fanatic and forever passionate about the environment. I'm an environmental science major and would love to travel the world expereincing all of Earth's environments. I hope to share my love for the world through the written word.