UWF Clubs All Premedical Students Should Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Being a premedical student can be rough. Between studying for physics tests and trying to find research or shadowing opportunities, preparing for medical school may seem overwhelming. However, UWF has several organizations that can help equip you for the medical school application process. These useful clubs include the following: the American Medical Students Association, Alpha Epsilon Delta, the Minority Association of Pre-medical Students, the Pre-Veterinary Society and the American Medical Women’s Association.

American Medical Students Association (AMSA)

As the name implies, this organization is open to all premed students. Members of this club have the chance to engage in different workshops focused on their future careers including suture workshops. Along with the workshops, students can also participate in hospital tours and volunteering events.

Alpha Epsilon Delta (AED)

AED is the premedical honors club at UWF. Because this organization is an honors club, students must have a certain GPA. Through this organization, premed students can participate in MCAT workshops to help better prepare them for the big test, and students can also gain valuable volunteering opportunities; Habitat for Humanity is one place that AED volunteers at regularly.

Minority Association of Pre-medical Students (MAPS)

MAPS is a new premed organization. This club aims to diversify the healthcare field with able minded individuals from different minority groups. One goal of this club is to highlight professionals of different races and gender to encourage aspiring healthcare workers on their journey to their careers. Since this is a new club, it will be exciting to see what all this organization can bring to UWF.

Pre-Veterinary Society

Animals need medical care too. The Pre-Veterinary Society opens its doors to aspiring vets and to those who just have a love for animals. This organization focuses on providing insight into the field of veterinary science.

American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA)

This organization emphasizes the promotion of women on their journey toward medical careers.  This organization strives to be member-oriented. As females, it can be challenging to avoid being put down in a field that has been dominated by men for some time. AMWA offers numerous opportunities for the members to hear much needed information regarding the medical school application process such as how and when to apply. Volunteering is also a  major focus of this organization; many of the members volunteer at a local clinic. Through AMWA, premed students have chances to tour medical schools, hear from guest speakers and most importantly be surrounded by driven female peers.

All of these organizations offer valuable resources for anyone looking into any aspect of the healthcare field. Other premed clubs include the Pre-dental Society, the Medical Laboratory Science Club, and the Athletic Training Student Association. Whether you want to be a healthcare provider for animals or humans, there is something for you. For more information, students can visit the updated Argopulse website for contact info and applications for these organizations.

Jasiana Edwards is a Junior at the University of West Florida. She is majoring in Biomedical Science with a minor in Psychology. Along with being a member of Her Campus, she is also an officer in UWF's American Medical Women's Association.
Gina Castro is a junior at the University of West Florida where she is double majoring in English Literature and Journalism. She is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UWF and an editorial intern for Ballinger Publishing. Since her sophomore year, she has been an active member of her university's Her Campus chapter. When she's not researching new stories to write articles about, she is watching knitting tutorials or obsessing over Toni Morrison.