alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Her Campus UWF’s Queen of the Month: Racine Frank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Her Campus UWF’s Queen of the Month spotlights university women making differences in their communities and making strides toward a better world. This month we recognize Racine Frank, a senior international studies student at UWF. Here is the scoop on this worldly woman!

HC UWF: What does it mean to be an international studies student at UWF?

Racine Frank: For me, being an international studies student at UWF means having the opportunity to take a variety of classes that focus on politics, culture, security and diplomacy, etc. which allows me to broaden my perspective of the world. I love being an international studies student because I am able to be diverse in my studies.

HC: What organizations are you a part of?

RF: I am a member of the W.E.B. Du Bois Honor Society, serve as a Cabbie for Campus Activity Board (CAB) and you might see me around just showing support for other organizations!

HC: You interned at a US Embassy in Peru this past summer. What was that like?

RF: Yes, I did! I interned in the Consular Section at U.S. Embassy Lima working with immigration and visas, and it was a wonderful experience. I interned full time and the traffic there is crazy, so the days were long. Nevertheless, I was treated like staff and was given plenty of work and projects during my 10 weeks all of which helped me develop professionally. The internship was the perfect experience for seeing what it would be like in the Foreign Service, a career path that I am interested in.

HC: What was your favorite lesson you learned this past summer in Peru?

RF: I am not sure if I have a favorite lesson, but one lesson that I learned this past summer in Peru was the dynamics of working on a team. I worked with Americans and Peruvians primarily within one unit, but throughout the internship, I found myself working in other units as well. Each unit had their own way of accomplishing tasks and communicating, and I learned how to adapt. Also, it was great to see the different leadership styles of my colleagues.

HC: How have you used what you have learned this past summer back at home?

RF: I am a program officer for the Gulf Coast Citizen Diplomacy Council, and at the council, we welcome international visitors to the gulf coast area, so there is always work to get done just like there was at the embassy. Having experienced working in an embassy and returning to a non-profit organization, I was able to transfer the skills that I learned at the embassy to my job at the council. For example, adaptability, written communication, judgment and planning and organizing.

HC: What’s it like being a woman in a diplomatic environment?

RF: I think it is great being a woman in a diplomatic environment. I want to continue to be that person who builds bridges between cultures and unify differences.

HC: With graduation coming up this December, what is your next stop on your journey?

RF: I hope to become a Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV) working in education or with youth in development. I have wanted to be a PCV since high school. I know that life is just getting started, so why not join the Peace Corps and challenge myself in a way that will make me a better person and a stronger individual?

HC: What encouragement would you give other women in your field?

RF: I would encourage women to get involved whether it be on campus or in their community. I would also say to be ambitious and to remember to keep an open mind especially when it comes to adversity. The foundation you create right now will transform to who you are to become in the future which will hopefully be a woman of joy, peace and prosperity.

Nature lover, turtle fanatic and forever passionate about the environment. I'm an environmental science major and would love to travel the world expereincing all of Earth's environments. I hope to share my love for the world through the written word. 
Gina Castro is a junior at the University of West Florida where she is double majoring in English Literature and Journalism. She is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UWF and an editorial intern for Ballinger Publishing. Since her sophomore year, she has been an active member of her university's Her Campus chapter. When she's not researching new stories to write articles about, she is watching knitting tutorials or obsessing over Toni Morrison.