Ella Cornell is Bringing Fitness that’s Actually Fun to UWF with CHAARG

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Name: Ella Cornell

Hometown: Jacksonville, FL

Major: Health Science

Class: Junior

You may remember about a month ago when your Instagram was filled with the “Bring CHAARG to UWF” graphic and been wondering what it was all about. We sat down with the founder of this new fitness organization to find out why CHAARG (Changing Health Attitudes and Actions to Recreate Girls) is important and how it’s changing the way women see fitness across campuses nationwide.

Photo courtesy Ella Cornell

Her Campus UWF: What is CHAARG?

Ella Cornell: CHAARG is a health and fitness organization to empower girls to find their fit. CHAARG wants to help eliminate the intimidation factor in the gym and make fitness fun. CHAARG stands for Changing Health, Attitudes and Actions to Recreate Girls. CHAARG is a registered student organization at 54 universities nation-wide. The purpose of CHAARG is to liberate girls from only using the elliptical and show them that working out can and should be fun.

HC UWF: What made you want to bring CHAARG to UWF?

EC: I was on a sports team all through high school. When I came to college I missed the team feeling and everyone striving for a  common goal. One of my friends from high school is an ambassador for CHAARG at the University of Florida, and when I asked her about CHAARG she encouraged me to start a chapter at UWF.

HC UWF: What will UWF CHAARG offer for female students at UWF?

EC: CHAARG will offer a supportive community of 100 plus girls, new and different routes of health and fitness, and show the girls new ways to enjoy fitness. CHAARG focuses on instilling an importance of physical and mental health. If you are a member you will have access to weekly studio spotlights, chapter events, healthy and yummy recipes, small group activities and all things from nationals.  Studio spotlights are weekly chapter-wide events that can include workouts at different fitness studios around the area. CHAARG wishes to offer girls at UWF a group that will inspire, empower and enable them to become the strongest, healthiest versions of themselves!

HC UWF: What if someone isn’t familiar with fitness?

EC: CHAARG is for all levels of fitness, it is meant for students, and it offers girls an opportunity to learn different types of fitness to relief stress in College. As stated earlier, CHAARG focuses on instilling an importance in both physical and mental health while taking away that intimidation factor fitness may sometimes carry.

HC UWF: How can we sign up?

EC: Argos will be able to sign up towards the end of November through Argopulse and through the CHAARGE website under chapters.

HC UWF: When can CHAARG officially call UWF home?

EC: Now! It is officially registered at UWF!

We’re nothing short of excited about jumping off the elliptical and seeing college women change their fitness routine thanks to CHAARG!

Nature lover, turtle fanatic and forever passionate about the environment. I'm an environmental science major and would love to travel the world expereincing all of Earth's environments. I hope to share my love for the world through the written word.