This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

What do you think when you hear “sorority girl”? Being in a sorority comes with many of questions but also a lot of judgment. Countless times people ask “OMG, you’re in a sorority?” or say “You don’t look like a sorority girl.” These annoying questions inspired me to change these negative stigmas and also defend the organization that has impacted my life for the better. Here are common misconceptions about Greek life on campus.

1. You have to be superficial

As much as I love Legally Blonde and other movies like it, these movies portray the worst aspects of sorority life. MOST sorority women I have met through my organization, as well as others on campus, are the most down-to-earth, loving and genuine human beings I’ve ever met.  There’s nothing superficial about that.

2. All Sorority Girls Do Is Party

You can’t predict all sorority women don’t party. I know sisters who go out  every night while others hang around and sleep. Everyone is so unique that it becomes difficult to put a label on an entire group. So yes, we do party but it’s not the only thing we should be known for around UWF.

3. Sororities take time away from academics/ extracurricular activities

This is only a reality if you make it one. The number one thing I’ve learned through my organization is you get what you put into your experience. Overall, you can do as much or as little as you want which can limit your time, but that’s a responsibility that comes along with a sorority.

4. Hazing is inevitable

Through rules and regulations, Panhellenic cracked down on sororities to monitor every move we make. Ever since the incident earlier this year at FSU, one sorority and one fraternity have been banned from campus because of their part in hazing activities. No one will be hazed on UWF campus by sisters without severe action taking place within the chapter.

5. You pay for your friends

Although we are paying money monthly, the money funds something we love and support and provides opportunities for growth. We are broke college students same as everyone else. Sorority girls just have a passion for the organization that has surrounded us with so much positive energy, priceless memories, love and support.

6. You have to love your sorority all of the time

The main issue with sororities is they become the backbone to your life, physically and emotionally they consume you as a person. This being said, when we call each other “sisters,” we mean it. We fight like sisters, share clothes, and even dislike each other sometimes. Just like family, your sorority is FOREVER. 

7. You can only rush if you’re a freshman

Freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors, recruitment is for all. When you plan on rushing either in fall or spring, you can choose what works best for you and your tolerance for stress. Finding the right fit for you is key. Sign up for recruitment today to experience the most genuine experience of your life! 

Currently attending UWF with plans of earning a BSN degree. New writer with tons of enthusiasm as well as spunk. Senior editor for Her Campus located on campus at UWF but plans to one day make her dreams come true of being a pediatric nurse.
Gina Castro is a junior at the University of West Florida where she is double majoring in English Literature and Journalism. She is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UWF and an editorial intern for Ballinger Publishing. Since her sophomore year, she has been an active member of her university's Her Campus chapter. When she's not researching new stories to write articles about, she is watching knitting tutorials or obsessing over Toni Morrison.