6 Horrible Things Every Student Has Done in Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Whether you are a straight “A” student or an almost-drop-out, we all have those moments where class is just sitting in a room and we have to pass the seemingly endless class time somehow. Sometimes we’re productive, but other times we use the following methods to get through the day.

1. Social Media

Every student has their collection of snaps from class. If you’re like me, it ranges from putting a filter on the teacher when they aren’t looking, to zooming in on that one person that is always asleep, and, of course, the typical eye rolling picture with the caption “can I leave yet?”

Instagram and Twitter are on constant recall during class. You refresh, scroll through, switch, scroll through, and repeat. And as for Facebook, well that’s a last resort for when class is just too unbearable to pay attention to.

2. Sleep

The majority of sleep doesn’t come from getting in bed and taking the time to fall asleep, it comes from nodding off in class and often proceeding to snore. You know that feeling where your eyes are so heavy and you’re struggling to stay awake, but then your head drops, you wake up pretending like nothing happened, looking around to see if anyone noticed. Don’t worry, they’re all nodding off too.

3. Last-minute Homework

Of course, as the productive college students we are, we aren’t spending the last few moments before class trying to finish typing a paper that is due when you walk in. Oh who are we kidding? Everyone has had two classes back to back and spent the first class doing the homework that is due for the class right after. No shame.

4. Text

Whether the professors mind or not, texting in class is inevitable. There comes a time in your college career when you just don’t mind whether they know or not. And if the professor doesn’t allow texting in class, you just learn to text without looking.

5. Daydream

I don’t know about you, but when I day dream it’s about what I am going to have for lunch. But when I’m not thinking about lunch, it’s because I’m probably eating in class (another horrible thing we all do). Daydreaming in class is the best way to get through three-hour classes and not remember what the lecture was about, but it’s worth it just to get through.

6. Doodle

The greatest art we have ever done is on the headers of our paper during class. Doodling isn’t all that bad, other than the fact that is takes your mind off of the material. And soon, your header doodles turn into full page masterpieces. Who needs notes?

Thumbnail courtesy Flickr

Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs