11 Essentials Every Girl Boss Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

It’s important to embrace your ambition, and strive to live with purpose. One of the ways you can do this is by being a girl boss, but to slay successfully, here are some things you have to have in order to achieve your goals.

1. A Safe Haven for Your Coffee

With all the things that involved and successful college women have to deal with, one thing pops into our mind that you have to have: a reliable and dependable mug. We recommend this CamelBak mug because it’s easy to clean, keeps your coffee warm, and has a drinking valve that can close at the push of a button. In other words, no spills on those expensive textbooks you have.

2. Safety First

Being successful usually involves long days and nights on campus. For all of those night classes and those 6 or 7 p.m. meetings, it’s no question that you need to make sure you’re safe while walking back to your car. We recommend the Wearsafe as your go-to personal safety item. This tag has a button that you can discreetly press if you feel unsafe, and your personal network is instantly alerted to the situation, can hear what’s going on as the button records, and streams the audio around you.

3. Period Protection

Every girl knows that periods throw everything off. They’re uncomfortable, gross, and just annoying. Many girls can’t get anything done on their periods, and they lose a week of productivity and feeling great about themselves. Add in tampon and pad costs and RIP your poor budget, too. No more though with a product we recommend called the Diva Cup. It’s $40 for about a year of use since this product is a reusable menstrual solution! The Diva Cup is also good for nearly 12 hours of leak-free protection, depending on your flow, so you don’t have to sneak off to the bathroom as often or worry about leaks. Let’s save time and money!

4. Game Days, Fun Days

A girl boss is stylish on every occasion, and game day or school spirit days are no exception. We recommend Flying Colors Apparel because they have a wonderful array of products from koozies to dresses to bring the stylish, passionate Argonaut out of anyone. Now that Flying Colors Apparel is in the picture, there’s no need to stress out over what to wear. Game day is a fun day, so let your apparel speak for itself with its casual, effortless fashion sense.

5. Magnetic Makeup

Nobody has time to reapply makeup, or time for bad makeup for that matter. A girl boss needs to be confident and bold wherever she goes, so we recommend Rimmel London’s: 24 Hour Supercurler Mascara, Colour Precise Eyeliner, and The Only 1 Lipstick for every girl boss. These makeup essentials let every collegiette shine in her own unique way, and who doesn’t love makeup that lasts all day? Say goodbye to your lash curler, quick trips to the bathroom to reapply, and say hello to Rimmel London.

6. Time to Relax

Every girl boss should take time to treat herself, especially her skin. We recommend Freeman Beauty face masks. These beauty masks are simple to put on, and there’s a mask to fit every need and want your skin could have, from clearing your pores to exfoliating and moisturizing your skin. We recommend trying out the: cucumber mask, charcoal and black sugar mask, apple cider vinegar foaming clay, and an avocado and oatmeal mask that won Allure’s 2015 Reader’s Choice award.

7. Coffee Table Books

Everyone has insecurities and struggles, including girl bosses, so the book Adulthood is a Myth is what we recommend you read ASAP. Sarah’s Scribbles are relatable and real and tackles issues like body image and introversion. Sarah goes through things like the struggle introverts have of holding your significant other’s hand for the first time, and the struggle everyone (especially college students) feels when being forced to give someone money. It’s nice to know that others are facing the same things, and continue every day to be successful and powerful women. And did we mention this book is a collection of comics, hence “Sarah’s Scribbles?” Who doesn’t love a book with pictures?

A successful woman is independent, and independence can mean that you’ve moved out and now you’re living with roommates. This makes life a little tricky because you’ll have to take another person’s thoughts and feelings into everything you do in your apartment. And, nobody has time for drama in their house – their safe haven. This is why the Roommate Book is something we recommend all women to read. There’s wonderful illustrations, flowcharts (it’s not as scary as it sounds), and fun quizzes to take that makes this book a delightful necessity. This book is a perfect pick-me-up with illustrations that can make you laugh anytime, like her “best friends forever” illustration in the book. Illustrations like those make you feel less stressed out, and that can be crucial during times like finals week.

8. A Signature Scent All Her Own

A successful woman is confronted with many opportunities where smelling and looking nice are essential. How can you make leaps and bounds in your college career without taking care of your hygiene? The answer is, you can’t. A signature fragrance we recommend is I ♥ JUICY COUTURE from Juicy Couture. This scent shows your uniqueness with notes of sparkling mandarin, jasmine, and patchouli (an herb from the mint family). It’s the perfect scent for everyday occasions. It’s not overpowering, and it’s a clean and fresh smell that helps you be you at your best.

9. Dresses, Heels and Panty hose

Whether you’re the woman who is on her feet all day or the woman that goes to conferences and other professional occasions, you need panty hose. Under skirts or dresses, panty hose are a much-needed item, especially during the winter when it’s freezing outside. L’eggs panty hose are what we recommend because they are cost effective and comfortable enough to prevent itching and that awkward bulky feeling.

10. A Well-Fitting Bra

Bras are the most talked about problem in every woman’s life. Either the bra isn’t cute or it doesn’t support as much as it should. Well, no more struggling. The Maidenform bra is what we recommend because it has full coverage and a sleek look that makes this the perfect everyday bra every girl boss needs. Full coverage, a cute look, and it provides proper support. What more could we want?

11. Itch Relief

Every girl boss knows there’s a time for honesty, and that sometimes you need to be honest to promote productivity. Monistat agrees with this concept, and encourages women to keep being healthy and keep being fabulous girl bosses by talking about yeast infections. More than half – 53% – of young women say they don’t know how to deal with a yeast infection and two out of three women (66%) don’t know it can be cured with an over-the-counter treatment. We, at Her Campus, encourage open discussion about our bodies and our health, and we think it’s super important for people to know about Monistat and what it can do for you. We highly recommend it. It’s prescription strength relief without the prescription, and it starts curing on contact. Go check it out today, and talk more about what women need to do to protect their bodies.

That’s all the essentials we have ladies! Come out to more events Her Campus UWF is hosting this semester, and take the chance to win some of these amazing products, because now you’re a girl boss in the know!

Born and raised in Pensacola, Brooke is a psychology major minoring in Substance Abuse. She plans to graduate UWF in 2017, and go to grad school. Brooke can be found exploring Pensacola with her friends, at the movies, or playing with her adorable kittens. She has a slight addiction to Diet Dr. Pepper, and she avoids her planner like it's the plague. Feel free to add her on Instagram at bookwormbrooke908.