photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
Wellness

5 Things You Hear When You Have IBD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

IBD, which stands for Inflammatory Bowel Disease, can have debhiliting effects on those who live with them. The two most common types of IBD include Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative colitis. These conditions are often seen as too taboo to talk about, so the majority of society doesn’t fully understand what this conditions entail. However, this doesn’t hold people back from giving their unsolicited opinions or advice. Those living with IBD have probably heard most, if not all of these 5 statements.

“So you just get a lot of stomach aches?”

While it may seem like this is just a “tummy ache” disease, IBD has an effect on the whole body. In fact, there is still research being conducted on just how much of the body IBD can impact.

“You don’t look sick to me!”

Classified as an invisible disease, the majority of symptoms happen internally. So while it may seem like those with IBD aren’t suffering from much, they can actually experience a major physical and mental toll from living with Crohn’s or Ulcerative Colitis.

“Why don’t you just change your diet?

This is most often the biggest misconception. While it is possible to pinpoint certain foods that will cause discomfort, there is no one diet for IBD patients to follow. Everyone’s case is so different, and for many people they can eat certain foods one day and be fine, but then eat the same foods the next day and get sick. IBD is not a straightforward disease with a straightforward solution.

“Are you sure it’s not just stress?”

While stress can play a role in your IBD flare ups, no amount of stress-relief tactics will completely get rid of your symptoms. It’s much more than having butterflies in your stomach.

“How long will your treatment last?”

Unfortunately, there is no cure for IBD (yet). However, there are treatments that can get you into remission. But in order to stay in remission you need to continue your treatment plan. Despite the many great treatment options available, many people end up having to switch plans at some point, and eventually many have to get surgery to help them get to remission.

While IBD is extremely difficult to live with, I have found some positives to the diagnosis. You discover who you can rely on to give you support, whether it be friends, family, or others in your community! You also learn just how independent and self resilient you are! It’s easy to dwell on the negatives of IBD, but there are some silver linings if you look hard enough.

I am a transfer student at UWB studying Elementary Education! My passions include female empowerment, bettering our education system, and advocating for those with an invisible disease. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in May of 2019, and I plan on using my experience to help those coping with the diagnosis of a chronic illness.