This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year: cold and flu season. Between large lecture halls, dormitory buildings and everyone heading inside to escape the cold weather, college is a breeding ground for the common cold and flu. If you haven’t been feeling the best or are concerned about catching a cold, there are a few ways to help prevent or reduce symptoms.

Don’t be afraid to take a break 

As collegiates, we’re all pretty busy. It can be daunting to think about taking a day off from classes, work, practice, meetings and hanging out with friends. Keep in mind that the more you rest, the better you’ll feel, especially when you feel those cold symptoms setting in. If you’re nervous about missing class, check your syllabus. Some professors note whether they would like you to email them if you’re sick or not and you can keep up with assignments by following the schedule. If all else fails, text or email a classmate. You’ll not only feel better after a day off, but your classmates will probably be happy that you’re not coughing through the lecture.

Drink lots and lots of fluids

Sometimes the most common advice is the best advice. This probably isn’t the first time you’ve heard to drink fluids if you feel sick, but there’s definitely a reason for that. Fluids can help drain your sinuses and ease throat pain. Avoid some common features of the college diet, such as coffee, alcohol and soda. Caffeine and alcohol make you dehydrated, only prolonging your suffering and increasing your risk of catching a cold.

Basically just surround yourself with fluids

If you’re not feeling the best and drinking water isn’t enough, invest in a humidifier or a neti pot. Humidifiers help with sinuses, dry skin and chapped lips. If your throat is sore and every breath feels like someone is scraping sandpaper down your throat, sitting near a humidifier may make it easier to breathe. Just make sure that you clean it out regularly to prevent bacteria and mold from growing. Another option is a neti pot, which can help drain nasal passages. You can find multiple varieties, from electronic versions to handheld devices. All are meant to accomplish the same goal, which is helping you to breathe better. 

Get your flu shot. Seriously.

Getting your flu shot is an easy way to prevent getting sick, but many people still don’t get them. Flu vaccines help protect you against common strains of influenza. Since each year brings a different strain of the virus, it is important to get them each year. Check with your school’s health services to see if and when you can get your flu shot.

Be cautious of vitamin supplements that claim to prevent colds and flus

You’ve probably heard that vitamin C, zinc and echinacea can help prevent illness. However, there is no proven evidence that these supplements eliminate your symptoms or your chances of getting sick. Studies can contradict one another. Some studies say they do help prevent symptoms, while others saying they have little or no effect. Getting enough nutrients is good for you, but too much of some vitamins and minerals can be harmful to your health. Also, many supplements are not regulated, so you can’t be sure what’s in them. If taking vitamin and mineral supplements makes you feel better and you are taking them in a healthy dosage, it is okay to keep doing so. Just make sure to check with a healthcare provider for their recommendations. If you’re weary about the side effects or need conclusive scientific evidence before taking them, it is also okay not to take them.

If it’s been a few weeks and you still feel sick, make an appointment with a doctor

If you’ve been having bad symptoms for one or two weeks and they don’t seem to be going away, see a doctor. You may have a more serious problem, such as a sinus infection, that needs professional medical treatment. Before your appointment, try to remember when you first started feeling sick, what your symptoms are and how long you have had them. This information can help your doctor find the best treatment option for you.

Getting sick is never fun, but there are some ways to prevent illnesses. The most important things to remember are to get some rest and take care of yourself. 

Kendra Lamer

UW Stout '19

Kendra Lamer is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UW-Stout. She is a professional communication and emerging media major with a concentration in applied journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. When she's not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, you can find her dancing at the studio, going for a run, drinking coffee or decorating for holidays way too early. After graduating, she plans on pursuing a career in public relations or journalism and adopting lots of dogs.
Her Campus at UW-Stout