Tips on Managing Stress During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

It’s finally here guys! The moment you’ve all been waiting for; your college year is coming to an end. Now, I know that around this time is when your engine starts slowing down because you’re overwhelmed, but you can’t let that engine die out! This is the time of the year when you need it more than ever. Here are some tips on how to de-stress and keep that engine rolling.

The Zen Zone

First, to all UW-Stout students, this place should be your home around this time. The 4th floor of Bowman Hall is where the magic happens, I’m talking about The Zen Zone. This is a place that students can go to clear their minds and refresh their bodies. The Zen Zone has light box therapy, a collection of self-help books, and the world most relaxing massage chair ever.  

Go for A Walk

You are never as busy as you think you are. I suggest that while trying to reduce some stress, go for a walk. Walking for 10-15 minutes is not going to take over your whole day so search for a park with a lot of trees then go outside and take a stroll. Walking puts your body into meditation mode which can help you really relax.

Take a Deep Breath

I’m sure medical researchers would agree with the idea of taking some time out to breathe. I mean, if you can’t go for a walk because you really don’t have the time, then breathing shouldn’t bring any difficulties. You can take a deep breath anywhere, even while you are in class. Time yourself and breathe for one minute. It’ll clear your mind.

Eat A Snack

This is a no brainer! Think about it, if your gut is hungry do you really think that your brain will function well? Of course not. Make sure you keep snacks with you when you are studying. But not just any snacks! Keep healthy snacks like bananas, apples, grapes, and something chewy like nuts. Not only are these snacks good for your body, they’re also great for relaxation because they won’t drain your energy, unlike junk foods.

These tips are all great, but make sure you get enough sleep and take care of your body because your body is the engine and if the engine isn’t working, do not expect it to function well. 

Her Campus at UW-Stout