andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips to a Healthy Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

In order to have a healthy relationship with your significant other, you need to realize that it will take time to develop a strong bond. When first getting in to a relationship you tend to be in what is called the “honeymoon” stage where both of you are super vulnerable and if one person does something you don’t like, you just shrug it off because you believe they are super. This stage usually lasts for a month to two months. When you get out of that stage, you will need to do some things that will make for a healthy companionship. Here are some tips:

1.    You can change yourself, but not your partner

If your partner is doing something that you think is annoying or bugs you up the wall, let them know. There is no guarantee that they will oblige but once you let your feelings out, they will hopefully get the hint and they might change their ways. Just don’t push them too hard or else they may get angry and turn their back against you.

2.    Anger is not worth it

When you are angry, it just adds fuel to the fire. If you are consistently angry, it makes you appear self-absorbed and only look at the negative parts in life. If something makes you mad or frustrated, make sure to tell your significant other, maybe they can help you sort out what is really making you feel negatively.

3.    Stay best friends

More likely than not, you two started out as friends and that foundation is super important when building a relationship on top of it. Make sure that you know one another before going any further.

4.    Do things you both love

Find things you both like to do. Such as hiking, movies, going out dancing, or biking. This will give you something to bond over. If you don’t have too many things in common, try something new to both of you!

5.    Give each other some space

Yeah, you want to spend all the time you can with them but make sure you go out and do your own thing as well. That way you will both have something new to talk about at the end of the day.

With these five tips, you will be sure to see your relationship blossom and regain strength. Remember that if something is ever bothering you, don’t bottle it up inside, tell your partner. Honesty and trustworthiness are two huge concepts needed in a successful relationship.

Hannah is currently a freshmen at the University of Wisconsin - Stout. She is studying Business Administration. Along with Her Campus, she enjoys sand volleyball, Netflix, and cats. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout