This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Every once in a while, we all need some self care. I know I do! Self care practices range anywhere from having a spa night at home to reading a book at the library. Self care is highly individualized and personal, and everyone practices it differently. Even though most things are small and relatively harmless, there are a few self care practices that can be eco-friendly. 

Have a Quiet Spa Night In

One of the best things that I can do for myself is take a nice, warm shower, wash my hair, put on a face mask, and spend a quiet night in. 

Homemade face masks are a great way to cut down on single-use plastic, and the ingredients can already be found in your kitchen! If you don’t have the time or energy to make your own face mask, any Burt’s Bees face masks will do the trick. Burt’s Bees uses all-natural, ethically sourced ingredients in their products, and all of their packaging is recyclable. 

Here are seven homemade face mask receipies: https://www.self.com/gallery/7-easy-diy-face-masks 

You can check out all of Burt’s Bees face masks here: https://www.burtsbees.com/skin-care/face-masks/ 

Pro Tip: Use coconut oil and reusable cloth wipes to remove eye makeup instead of makeup remover and disposable cotton rounds. Just take an old shirt, socks, or other material, cut out a small circle or square, and wash it when done! 

Take a Walk Outside

Getting outside is great for our health. Even if it’s just taking a quick walk around the neighborhood, it’s better than sitting inside. Try getting a friend or a roommate to go with you! It’s a great bonding experience and an easy way to check in with other people. 

Get a Good Night’s Sleep

Getting enough sleep is incredibly important for our health. As young adults, we need around 7-9 hours of sleep each night. It can be hard to get to bed early, especially with homework and jobs. Not getting enough sleep affects our health; both mental and physical. Sleep deprivation affects our reaction time, cognitive processing, immune systems, and memory consolidation. Learn more through the American Sleep Association: https://www.sleepassociation.org/blog-post/why-is-sleep-important/

Waking up feeling refreshed not only helps our health, but it makes out day better too! 

Try a New Hobby

Having a hobby is great! With my art classes being busy and often stressful, small hobbies are a great way for me to take a break from my homework and relax for a little bit. I’ve recently started weaving, but knitting, bullet journaling, reading, and painting or drawing are other great hobbies. 

Stay In for the Night and Read a Book

I don’t know about you, but I always have a pile of books that I want to read, but I just don’t have time. Setting aside several hours each week or month is a great way to destress and slowly get through the pile of books that I have. Even if reading isn’t really your thing, go to the local library and borrow a book about something that interests you. It can be anything from architecture to zoology, and it can be fiction or nonfiction. 

Taking care of yourself is so important and it has many great benefits. Doing little things for yourself, like taking a walk around the neighborhood, doing a face mask, or even writing in a journal each day helps us get through the hard, stressful days. Self care is all about you and you make it how you want it to be!

Katherine Vogel

UW Stout '21

A native Minnesotan, Katie is a junior at UW-Stout. She is majoring in Interior Design and minoring in Sustainability. She plays the French Horn in the UW-Stout band. When she is back home, Katie loves traveling around Minnesota, spending time with her family, practicing archery and pistol shooting, trap shooting, and going horseback riding.
Her Campus at UW-Stout