Sex Speak Sessions Create Positive Environments for Discussion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Sex.

It’s a large part of our daily lives. It affects who we talk to, what we buy, how we interact with others, and why we’re here in the first place. Yet, many people don’t know as much about it as they think they do, or as much as they should to make informed decisions about it.

Francisco Ramirez, a sexual health expert with 20 years of experience in the field, believes that, “everyone has a right to lead a sexually healthy, fulfilling life, regardless of their socioeconomic reality.” That’s why in 2008, Ramirez began offering free sex advice sessions on the streets and other public areas of New York City.  He offered help to those who may not typically have the opportunity to speak openly and honestly about sex, especially with someone who can provide skilled and confidential advice. The discussion isn’t limited to just sex; it encompasses the related topics of relationships and gender and sexuality identities as well.

University of Wisconsin – Stout professor Markie Twist recently co-authored a journal article about sex education with Ramirez and two other colleagues in the field, Ruth Neustifter and Jessica O’Reilly. As the Sex Therapy Certificate graduate program director at UW-Stout, Twist was inspired by the work Ramirez is doing and decided to try it here under a different name – Sex Speak Sessions. These sessions are not restricted to just students. Anyone eighteen and older or that has been accompanied by a parent or legal guardian may participate.

These sessions are aimed to be an opportunity for honest discussion and a step toward getting correct information and necessary help. Markie believes this is highly important for those who have only received fear-based sex education, as it allows them to ask questions without judgement. Participants who may benefit from professional therapy are referred to counseling services. Twist says that the turnout for these events has been fantastic and that they have already made many referrals.

On campus, this event is typically held every other Tuesday in the afternoon and early evening at various locations as a one-on-one discussion with Markie or one of the recent graduates of her program. Group sessions are also held in Menomonie and the surrounding areas.

The first upcoming event is Sunday, October 23rd from 4-7 p.m. at the Crossroads Community Center in Menomonie and is being co-sponsored by Queer Menomonie. Topics vary by table and include consent, sex education, sexuality and gender, and a mystery topic!

Plans for other upcoming events include sessions at the Smitten Kitten in Minneapolis and in Eau Claire. Check the Sex Speak Sessions Facebook page for updates and for more information!

I'm a Criminal Justice and Rehabilitation major at the University of Wisconsin - Stout who enjoys dancing, thought-provoking movies, and anything that involves zombies.
Her Campus at UW-Stout