Items to Declutter From Your Dorm this Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Dorm rooms are small and most people tend to overpack. Even living in a house or apartment doesn’t mean you have more room. One of the best ways to keep your living space neat and organized is to bring home anything you’re not using over breaks. With holidays like Halloween and Thanksgiving quickly approaching, many collegiates are making the trip home. Here are some items to consider leaving at home next time you visit to keep your room tidy:

1. Fans

When you first moved in, your box fan was likely your best friend. Now that the weather has started to cool down, you probably don’t need to keep a bulky fan in your room anymore.

2. Denim shorts

Comfy shorts are great for working out or lounging around in, but your denim shorts can probably take the trip home until it starts to warm up.

3. Tank tops and crop tops you won’t wear under cardigans

If you can layer it, leave it. If not, pack it in your suitcase. This will free up a ton of space in your closet for sweaters and jackets.

4. Sandals and other summer shoes

You probably won’t be trekking to class in your favorite strappy sandals. A pair of shower shoes and slide-ons are nice for showering and slipping something on, but any other warm-weather shoes should stay home for a while.

5. School supplies you didn’t need

If you’ve ever felt personally victimized by the clearance section at Target (*raises hand*), you’ve probably picked up some cute binders, notebooks, pens and stickers. Turns out, professors aren’t as strict as teachers about technology in class. If you’ve grown accustomed to taking notes on a laptop, you won’t need all those notebooks.

6. Any clothes you haven’t worn in the first few weeks

Most people have the tendency to over pack for those “just in case” scenarios, such as a costume party where you need a super-specific outfit. After being in college for four years, I find that these scenarios basically never happen. Keep these items at home.

7. Decorations you didn’t have space for

In the excitement to start decorating your own space the way you want it for the first time, you probably brought too many posters with inspirational quotes, photos of loved ones and desk decor. While a few can personalize your space and make those white cement walls feel more like home, too much can add a lot of clutter.

8. Holiday and seasonal decorations

There is a time and place for Thanksgiving decorations. While it is a bummer to take down your cute fall signs before Thanksgiving is over, it will feel even better to bring them home. Holiday and seasonal decorations are only used during specific times and just sit for the rest of the year. Bringing them home will also make extra room for the season you’re in.

9. Majority of your swimsuits

If you live in a place that gets cold in the winter, you can probably bring most of your swimsuits home. It is a good idea to keep one for a weekend trip or hot tub outing, but you don’t need every bikini you own in the winter.

As the weather starts to get cooler, you’ll find yourself using less of these items and wishing you brought more sweaters and boots. When you declutter your summer and back-to-school items, it makes your space more organized, efficient and clean.

Kendra Lamer

UW Stout '19

Kendra Lamer is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UW-Stout. She is a professional communication and emerging media major with a concentration in applied journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. When she's not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, you can find her dancing at the studio, going for a run, drinking coffee or decorating for holidays way too early. After graduating, she plans on pursuing a career in public relations or journalism and adopting lots of dogs.
Her Campus at UW-Stout