neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Not Suck as a Bridesmaid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Being a bridesmaid is a big role to take on. You have a lot of responsibility when you accept that role, realizing you play a part in the best day of someone’s life. If you have watched any wedding movie, you know there are some bridesmaids that are just nightmares. Here are some tips that you should follow so you never become one of those bridesmaids. 

Stop Making the Bridesmaid Dress About You

Whatever dress that the bride wants you to wear, you are going to wear it and you are going to like it. This is not your day to win best dressed at the Oscars. This is their day to shine. If they ask your advice, then you may offer it. However, don’t be one of those girls who only makes suggestions that will only cater to them. If the bride asks for your help, listen to what she wants and go from there. It may be difficult to put your own wants aside, but it comes with the job. 

Help the Bride on Things That Aren’t Fun

There are going to be times when you really don’t want to make 200 little bows for the reception; just do it. The bride has given you the honor of being a part of their day and it’s the least you can do. Plus it is a great time to bond with the bride whatever your relationship with her may be. Prove to her that you aren’t just in it to score a cute dress and some bragging rights. 

Get Used to Paying for Things

The dress is never cheap, the bachelorette party is too expensive, and yet you still need to get her a gift. Deal with it. One day when you get married, you will need dutiful bridesmaids that will pretend that money is not an issue. If you are really tied for money, ask the bride about it before  you agree to be a bridesmaid. Some brides don’t mind having a low budget wedding and some want a wedding fit for a queen. 

Don’t Get Completely Wasted at the Reception

Yes, you should have fun at the reception; there is nothing wrong with drinking a little bit of liquid confidence to get you dancing. Although, a sloppy-drunk bridesmaid is nothing but an embarrassment to the bride. 

Don’t Make a Fuss Out of Your Wedding March Escort

The groom always has some weird friends that you are going to be forced to interact with, just take it with a smile and remember who you are doing this for. 

Katie is a student at UW-Stout majoring in Professional Communications and Emerging Media. Her hobbies including cuddling with her Golden Retriever, Dante, watching Netflix in her bathrobe, and of course, writing! 
Her Campus at UW-Stout