The Diet of a Victoria’s Secret Angel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Victoria’s Secret models are arguably the most beautiful women to grace the Earth, often making the rest of us think twice about the food baby we’ve been steadily feeding the majority of our lives. Let’s be honest, when in the presence of someone who looks like this:

Most of our reactions look something like this:

Are these women human? How do they do it?

Most of these models have personal trainers/diet coaches to keep them on track, which makes following a strict routine much more manageable. Heather Marr, a well-known trainer who focuses on working with models, has created the following guidelines for daily food intake. Although all models differ in what they choose to eat, here is something you could expect to consume if you find yourself becoming a VS model sometime soon:

Breakfast

·         1 cup egg whites

·         1/3 cup oats

·         1/2 banana

Snack

·         1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt

·         1 cup berries

Lunch

·         Lean protein source (chicken breast, ground turkey, fish)

·         Unlimited vegetables

·         1 apple, pear, or peach

Dinner

·         Lean protein source

·         Unlimited vegetables

Snack

·         1/2 cup nonfat cottage cheese

·         1 Tbsp. nut butter

·         1 Tbsp. cocoa powder

·         Splenda/stevia

(Mix together to form a chocolate mousse)

When interviewed about their daily routines, several Angels provided insight on their tips and tricks:

Adriana Lima

“Everything starts with nutrition and what you eat. I really watch my portions, and work out when I can—it is definitely hard with work and my two kids.” As for her preferred exercises? “Boxing and jumping rope!” Although she regularly follows a maintainable diet plan, Adriana admits cutting out all solid foods before shows, only consuming liquids. Twelve hours before the show she does not consume anything, not even water. This is not recommended to anyone, please don’t try to get this look by such practice.

Elsa Hosk

“I definitely drink more green juices. It’s a lot of fun to make juices and I also drink lots of warm water in the morning with ginger, cayenne and lemon juice. It’s a great way to clean your system right away…Just drink lots of juice and get lots of sleep. Oh, and no desserts before the show!” As for what Hosk ate in the morning before the show she shared, “Eight eggs!”

Alessandra Ambrosio

Alessandra is a foodie and likes to eat whatever she wants. She eats eggs with bacon in the morning, lunch usually consists of non-vegetarian salad, and her evening meal routinely consists of snacks, nuts, and coffee. When splurging, she enjoys eating Japanese food and dessert like s’mores.

Miranda Kerr

Miranda follows a Blood-Type Diet, that is, the diet which aims at eating depending upon blood group. She is blood type A and eats accordingly. Miranda also does not like to eat meat, so she eats mainly iron rich foods. Miranda also likes to splurge on treats like ice cream, chocolate, etc. In order to fulfill this desire, she eats on the principle of 80/20. This means, she allows herself to eat 80% healthy food and 20% of her favorite foods.

Spoiler alert– all of these diet plans, some healthy, some not, are going to be exhausting work which require planning, prepping, and a lot of self-control. The main reason why VS models are able to do this- it is their JOB. These women are paid large amounts of money to eat right and go to the gym every day. For the most part, they do not attend a university or work long hours at another job.

Wanting to sculpt your body and become more physically fit is a great goal, but be careful in setting your sights on the body of a Victoria’s Secret Angel. These women place all of their focus on preparing for events such as the annual Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, where their hard work is flaunted in lingerie and a spray tan while wearing dangerously high heels.

So, all the power to you to eat right and get in shape. Heck, throw on your favorite bra and strut your stuff in some heels! You don’t have to be an official “Angel” to feel sexy in your skin.

Her Campus at UW-Stout