freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Creative “Date Night” Ideas for Long Distance Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

You don’t see many long distance relationships anymore. Why? They aren’t easy to maintain. The distance can be challenging and lonely. It’s definitely not for the faint of heart; but for those that survive the miles between you and your partner, these “date night” ideas are perfect for both of you. They make you feel a little closer and help ease the pain of not being physically with your partner easier. Date night can be tricky when you’re far away, but it doesn’t have to be with all these easy and fun ways to have that much-needed date night with your partner.

1. Watch movies or TV shows simultaneously together

There are so many movies and tv shows out now. The variety is endless and places like Netflix and Hulu make watching these super easy. The only tricky part can be finding one that you both can enjoy together, but it’ll also help you come together closer as a couple and perhaps understand your partner better through the shows they enjoy. If you’re having trouble deciding what movie or tv show to watch, try picking two: one of your personal favorites and one of your partners. Once you’ve found one, watch the movie or episodes only when your partner does and keep each other updated on thoughts/feelings throughout. Not only is this a good way to wind down and relax, but it’ll help make you feel a little closer despite the distance.

2.Skype/Facetime calls

It can be hard to be away from your partner, but sometimes seeing their face in real time helps. It’s certainly okay to remind your partner how much you miss them, just don’t forget to focus on the positives such as when you’ll see each other in person next or exciting plans coming up. The distance is hard enough, so try to avoid dwelling on all the negatives and know that better days are coming.

3. Play 20 Questions

This is a really great way to get to know your partner better even if you’ve been together for years.

4. Send your significant other flowers or food

Even if you’re not into material things like flowers, sending food (by delivery) is a super cute way to show your partner you care a lot. From personal experience, my boyfriend knows my silly addiction to Jimmy Johns, so he will send me my favorite sub right to my front door. Not only is receiving food a nice gesture, it shows that he pays close attention to what I’m interested in and the foods I enjoy.

5. Exchange perfumes/colognes

There’s nothing better than coming home and smelling a piece of clothing that smells just like your partner. Sometimes those familiar smells make everything feel better.

6. Send “Open When” letters

This is a great way to communicate your thoughts and feelings when you can’t talk to each other via text/call or social media. Plus, there’s an added bonus of seeing your partner’s handwriting and knowing they took the time to write it and send it. If writing isn’t really your style, drawing is a really great way too. Be as creative as you want and I promise your partner will appreciate it. These are especially great when your partner has had a rough day they can open a letter and feel a lot better.

7.Read a book simultaneously together

Not every couple has Netflix or Hulu or any other streaming media so books are a great alternative. Just as you would watch a movie together, try reading to each other. Make sure to not read ahead so you don’t ruin the surprise of the ending (unless you like spoiler alerts, then I suppose go ahead).

8.Play online games

There are countless online and mobile games nowadays. My boyfriend and I enjoy playing the app called Clash of Clans and we help each other, giving each other tips. This is really good bonding and helps keep a conversation fun and exciting. You can celebrate little things like reaching a new level or breaking a high score.

9.Send cute/funny videos

Apps like Snapchat are perfect for this. Use the filters and make a funny or cute video that lasts a couple seconds. However funny or serious you want it to be, it can help make you feel better seeing and hearing your partner talk, making them not seem so far away.

10.Cook/Bake together

This is where Skype or Facetime can come in handy. If you or your partner like to bake, try baking while talking to each other. You both can decide the recipe and get a chance to see how well they cook/bake. This is also a great way to practice cooking for your partner and potentially learn their favorite foods and also see what foods they don’t like as well.

If you’re busy missing your partner like crazy, they are missing you just as much. Long distance relationships aren’t easy. Though if you truly love someone, distance doesn’t mean a thing and the love you share will always bring you back together no matter the miles.

Hello! My name is Elizabeth Jacobson, but most people call me Liz for short. I am a sophomore this year at UW-Stout to get my Bachelors degree in Business Administration. I plan to have an emphasis in entrepreneurship so that after college I can pursue my dreams of owning my own store. I have a passion for writing. I love new ideas, meeting new people, and exploring different things in life. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout