Cats, Class, and the Most Stress Relieving Game of 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

In the beginning months of 2016, a new application and interactive game have been seen dominating the screens of smartphones everywhere and has become a major habit or complete annoyance to users everywhere. The game is called Neko Atsume, and it has become my latest addiction too after being introduced over winter break by a good friend of mine in the middle of a group gyro-and-milkshake sesh in our respective home city of Milwaukee, WI. I’m sure many other people have also had a similar experience with being introduced to the game, but regardless of first impressions, Neko Atsume has somehow managed to become a fundamental part of the average human’s daily routine.

Neko Atsume is basically every cat-lover’s virtual dream come true, utilizing a very user friendly interface that allows people of all ages to construct and oversee a “cat hotel” which attracts cats of different breeds and names over time. The game further acts as a “trading card” type of activity in which users can take screenshots of the different cats who visit their hotel and then publish them to their cat’s specific photo album. As more cats begin to use the different toys and furniture placed by the user into the hotel, the user also begins to collect silver and gold fish from their cats to be used as currency and purchase more luxury items. Unlike other pet-care type of games, the anxiety of letting a cat die is a thing of past in that you can only attract cats to come to your hotel by refilling the placed food bowls, but they do not die if the food is not replenished regularly.

Developed by Hit-Point Co. and offered primarily in the English and Japanese languages, Neko Atsume had hit the app stores and been updated majorly through the end of 2014 into the duration of 2015. It is just recently, however, that smartphone users everywhere are beginning to download and continually use the game on a daily basis. With no specific target age or audience, Neko Atsume has become popular in many different groups and communities, but why? What appeal could this game possibly have that makes us immediately pull out our phones to check on the precious “Tubbs” or “Ramses the Great” every time we hear the catchy elevator-esque music coming from another user’s smartphone?

For the general public, Neko Atsume has simply become a trend to them such as the Kim Kardashian or Angry Birds games had become a big deal for the hot minute of their time. Others, however, play Neko Atsume habitually for other reasons that may not be recognized at first observation by others.  From a few peers of mine who responded to a Facebook status I posted that asked what the game’s appeal was, a lot have said that Neko Atsume acts as a therapeutic stress relief, especially in the busy life of a college student. Some have said that the act of taking care of cats, even if they are only virtual and cannot die in the game, helps get them into a daily routine which in turn helps get into solidified daily routines of taking care of business in the real world. Others find that the general cuteness and anticipation of collecting new cats and providing them with a place to frolic is a positive addition to their day and also gives people something to bond over when checking on cats in a group setting.

Overall, the impact Neko Atsume has had on the technological generation is incredible and should not be underestimated. With such positive reviews and a multitude of uses for everyone, it’s evident that there is something for everyone in the game and its chart-topping status is very well deserved. If you want to join the trend, find Neko Atsume on your smartphone’s app store today and starting managing your own cat hotel!

Her Campus at UW-Stout