jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Always Keep Fighting & Love Yourself First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

“Loving yourself is vital in the fight against mental health problems,

so I want to encourage y’all to focus on loving yourselves first…

Each and every one of you is worthy.”

I’ve had depression for as long as I can remember, and at first it was really hard to talk about. It’s difficult to explain to those who have never experienced it, and fighting it can feel like you’re shouting into the wind or running into a brick wall. I’m so thankful that over the past few years it has become a topic that is discussed more and stigmatized less, because it’s something that really needs to be addressed. While there are countless people to thank for this, there is one person in particular that I would like to give recognition to because his contribution has really resonated with me.

You may recognize Jared Padalecki from Supernatural, Gilmore Girls, or elsewhere, but did you know about all of the fundraising he does for to help those with mental illness, depression, addiction, or suicidal thoughts? This has been done through his Always Keep Fighting campaign, which recently had its one year anniversary and supports organizations such as To Write Love on Her Arms, The Down Syndrome Connection, St. Jude’s, Wounded Warriors, Random Acts, and others through the sale of clothing items and other merchandise with awareness-raising site Represent.

It’s easy to think that depression and other mental illnesses are only experienced by those who are unsuccessful or misfortunate in some fashion, but they can afflict anyone. Jared was inspired to start his fundraising campaign because, even in the midst of his fame and fortune, he personally struggles with clinical depression and has lost more than one friend to suicide as a result of mental illness. Last year he bravely decided to speak up and do something about it by reaching out to his fans and opening up about his personal battle, and was astounded by the outpour of support and empathy displayed in return.

The Supernatural fandom, of which I am increasingly proud to be a part of and that acts more like a family in many ways, has proven to be especially responsive and valuable during each campaign. On top of purchasing merchandise, many of them share their own stories of hardship with mental illness in a show of solidarity, and quite a few even purchase campaign products for complete strangers – fellow supporters of the cause that don’t have the funds to participate in the fundraising by themselves.

One fan, Anne Kirn, even organized an amazing tribute of support to Jared and the campaign at Comic-Con by procuring (with the help of Random Acts) and handing out 1,200 personalized tea candles to audience members at the Supernatural panel with a note that indicated when to turn them on and an inspirational message:

Everyone is given a candle that burns just for them.

When your flame flickers and you fear it will go out, know not even the strongest wind lasts for ever,

and there are other lights to guide you even in the Darkness…

And when your candle burns bright, you can ignite the hearts of others and hope will spread like wildfire…

Always Keep Fighting, & you’ll never fight alone.

Jared was also given a tea candle and was incredibly moved by the gesture, emotionally expressing his gratitude both at the convention and in a thank-you note posted afterwards on Facebook.

Jared and his fans showed just how strong they are when they work together by breaking Represent’s record of most shirts sold during the first campaign, raising a reported $250,000 for To Write Love on Her Arms and an unknown amount for other organizations. This amazing amount of participation continued for the next three campaigns, which featured different designs and a joined effort with his Supernatural co-star Jensen Ackles.

The current campaign also looks very promising in terms of proceeds and awareness raised. You can be a part of the campaign as well by going to https://represent.com/jared before March 17th and purchasing something that serves as an important reminder to yourself and others. Remember:

ALWAYS KEEP FIGHTING & LOVE YOURSELF FIRST

I'm a Criminal Justice and Rehabilitation major at the University of Wisconsin - Stout who enjoys dancing, thought-provoking movies, and anything that involves zombies.
Her Campus at UW-Stout