Career

9 Things You Understand if You’ve Ever Had a Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

If you just wrapped up your summer internship, you probably learned many valuable skills, like how to decorate your cubicle and how to discreetly look at someone’s badge if you’ve forgotten their name. Hopefully, you also gained some real world experience, learned a ton of new skills and became more comfortable in an office setting. Here are nine things any collegiate who just ended their summer internship knows.

1. You physically can’t sleep in anymore

After four months of waking up at 6 a.m., you wonder how you ever slept in until noon. Even when you want to sleep in, your body won’t let you.

2. Walking to class is now surprisingly difficult

You used to walk at least four miles a day just to get to and from class. Now you’re sore from walking up a flight of stairs and you suddenly understand why adults love standing desks.

3. Your closet doubled its size

Having an excuse to go shopping was fun, but now you’re closet is overstuffed with your new work clothes. On the plus side, you know you’ll be the best-dressed at this year’s Career Conference.

4. You’re excited to update your resume and LinkedIn

You can’t wait to record all the skills you learned over the summer, especially ones you didn’t learn in classes.

5. You don’t know what to do with breaks in your schedule anymore

When you’re used to working a full eight hours a day, you don’t know how to handle that three hour break between political science and linguistics. The old you would’ve gone home and taken a nap, but the new you feels the need to be productive between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.

6. You miss the free coffee at work

Honestly one of the biggest perks.

7. You forgot about the horrors of homework

What do you mean I need to take my work home with me?

8. You feel ready to take on any assignment your professors throw at you

Most of the assignments in class are for hypothetical situations. You just got done doing assignments to help projects that have an impact on society. Guess who’s not scared of a 15-page paper anymore?

9. You radiate a new kind of confidence

After getting a taste of the real world, you’re not afraid of it anymore and finally feel like an adult.

As you’re finish up your final years of college, you feel ready to take on whatever college throws at you because you know you got this!

Kendra Lamer

UW Stout '19

Kendra Lamer is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UW-Stout. She is a professional communication and emerging media major with a concentration in applied journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. When she's not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, you can find her dancing at the studio, going for a run, drinking coffee or decorating for holidays way too early. After graduating, she plans on pursuing a career in public relations or journalism and adopting lots of dogs.
Her Campus at UW-Stout