nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Reasons Why You Should Become a Plant Mom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Adding one more commitment in college may be the last thing on your mind right now. What if this extra responsibility could help help you concentrate, keep you from getting sick and improve your mood? Plants are little green superheroes when it comes to these possibilities and more. To see all the positive effects of plant ownership, it is recommended that you have a plant for every 129 ft. of your living space. If you’re thinking about becoming a plant mom, here is how owning a plant can better your wellbeing:

Having another living being to take care of makes you feel good

Your plant may not only make your living space more aesthetically pleasing, but it can also improve your confidence. Have you ever heard of horticultural therapy? This type of therapy has patients take care of a garden or a plant to cope with mental illness. Nurturing a plant provides a sense of purpose and wellbeing to someone who may be struggling.

They help purify the air

Plants take in CO2 and release oxygen into the air. They can also help eliminate heavy metals and toxins, such as formaldehyde. Another study by NASA showed that houseplants can remove 87 percent of toxins in just 24 hours. A third study showed that higher levels of toxins in the air are linked to higher rates of depression and anxiety. Through a process called transpiration, plants also release water vapor. The additional humidity boosts the air quality if you live in a stuffy dorm or apartment.

They can keep you from getting sick

Water vapor released through transpiration can also keep you from getting the cold that’s been going around campus. Higher humidity levels can deter dry skin, colds, sore throats and dry coughs. A study found that high absolute humidity levels can also decrease transmission of the flu virus.

They’re good for your mental health

A study showed that patients in a hospital that had plants in their room had quicker recovery times and needed less medication than those without. While having a plant in a room won’t cure an illness on its own, it still helps to brighten the room and purify the air for a easier recovery.

They help reduce background noise

Do you live on a busy street? Plants may help reduce the amount of noise created by those cars and trucks that are keeping you up all night. Plants can absorb, deflect and reflect sound, which can inhibit both indoor and outdoor noise pollution. Just remember that the more plants you have, the more noise will be reduced.

They improve your focus

Need to pull an all-nighter to get that essay done? Before you go for another cup of coffee, try placing a plant on your desk. A study found that students had 70 percent greater attentiveness and much higher attendance in classrooms and lecture rooms containing plants.

Plants aren’t just fun to look at, they’re also good for your physical and mental wellbeing. Next time you’re shopping around town, consider picking up a plant and putting that green thumb to good use.

Kendra Lamer

UW Stout '19

Kendra Lamer is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UW-Stout. She is a professional communication and emerging media major with a concentration in applied journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. When she's not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, you can find her dancing at the studio, going for a run, drinking coffee or decorating for holidays way too early. After graduating, she plans on pursuing a career in public relations or journalism and adopting lots of dogs.
Her Campus at UW-Stout