This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Substituting vegetables or grains for meat may sound complicated, but it’s actually pretty easy! While I’m not a complete vegetarian, I have been making an effort to cut meat out of my diet. Being a vegetarian doesn’t mean you need to live off salads and mac and cheese (unless you want to). There are a ton of easy ways to swap out meat. These recipes don’t taste exactly like the original, but they’re not meant to be. Vegetarian meals can stand on their own, not as an alternative, but as a complete meal. Here are five vegetarian recipes that will taste just as good as your favorite meals:

1. Spaghetti and Zucchini Meatballs

Don’t be scared of the green color throwing you off! These actually look insanely similar to meatballs and I was surprised at how similar these taste. All you need to do is grate a couple zucchinis and fry them until the water evaporates. The grated zucchini then acts like ground beef and you prepare it just like traditional meatballs. Other than a slight difference in texture, they taste just as good as the original and are just as easy to make.

2. Wild Rice Burgers

If you’re sick of traditional veggie burgers, you should definitely give these a shot. The wild rice gives it a different flavor and texture. Rather than trying to be a copy of a traditional cheeseburger, these stand alone as a meal. When I make them, I typically top mine with Muenster cheese (as suggested in the recipe), spinach, and garlic aioli.3. Honey Garlic Baked Cauliflower

If you’re in the mood for Asian cuisine, but want to opt out of traditional chicken, this is the recipe for you. The cauliflower is breaded and then baked, making it a much healthier option than deep-fried chicken. This is also a great recipe if you’re craving chicken wings. Pair it with rice and veggies for a classic Asian-inspired dish or serve it on game day.

4. Teriyaki Tofu and Broccoli

If you’re looking for an Asian dish with a little more protein, this is the one for you. While tofu is a classic option for vegetarian, it’s far from boring or bland. It’s incredibly easy to prepare and the sauce is amazing.This recipe already contains a vegetable, so all you need to do is make some rice or noodles for a complete meal.

5. Roasted Cauliflower Tacos

A vegetarian twist on one staple food everyone loves- tacos. When’s the last time someone turned down a taco? Probably never. A lot of vegetarian taco recipes include soy “ground beef”, but this recipe uses roasted cauliflower for substance. The chipotle peppers give it a little bit of a bite and the sauce is incredibly easy to make. Although the recipe calls for cilantro and avocado to place in the taco shell, feel free to fill it with whatever you like.

Going vegetarian or trying to eat less meat doesn’t mean that you need to choose between bland or complicated meals. Vegetarian recipes often offer meat-free options to your favorite dishes that don’t sacrifice flavor. These recipes take the place of meat in your favorite dishes without sacrificing flavor or substance.

Kendra Lamer

UW Stout '19

Kendra Lamer is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UW-Stout. She is a professional communication and emerging media major with a concentration in applied journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. When she's not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, you can find her dancing at the studio, going for a run, drinking coffee or decorating for holidays way too early. After graduating, she plans on pursuing a career in public relations or journalism and adopting lots of dogs.
Her Campus at UW-Stout